Super lines

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Travsher, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Travsher

Travsher New Member

State:
    Columbus indian
    I use mono right now but was thinling about going to one of the super lines. Sould I stay with mono or give the super lines a try? They cost alot more and don't know how they preform. If you can help with your choices and pros & cons it would help me out alot. Thanks

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Use power pro !!!

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Travis,
    What's your situation, why are you thinking of changing?
    Braid is much stronger but much less abrasion resistant than mono for a given diameter. It depends on where and how you are fishing as to whether you get the best from either one...W

4. Travsher

Travsher New Member

State:
    Columbus indian
    I am looking to change on my bigger rods. I plan on useing mono on my channel cat rods (#20 big game). But for the rods I take to the Ohio river for blue cats I was looking for a smaller dai. line with #80 lb test in the stronger currents. Years ago I tryed some braids that didn't hold up well(seemed to rot fast) I don't know which one to put my money on. I will give to power pro a try if that is what you all think is best and let you know how it works for me. Thanks

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I aint a big fan of braided line, I am mono man myself.

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Travsher, I am a PP user and I TRUST it! I can honestly say that what you were told about the properties of braid is correct. To add on, It FLOATS and this can be a Blessing or a Curse. It is and has been for the past 4 years the primary line that I use. For the application that you have mentioned, I say it will work GREAT. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

7. Travsher

Travsher New Member

State:
    Columbus indian
    Thanks alot guys for the help.

8. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use 50 pound SpiderWire right now, little cheaper than Prower Pro, and its great so far. Might be somethin i have a problem with a little ways down the road but ive yet to run into and negitive parts about it.

9. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i use and LOVE POWER PRO...

it has absolutely NO memory which i REALLY like about it... memory sucks IMO..

i use 50lb and i will keep using it till either something better is made or it is stopped being made!

POWER PRO ALL THE WAY!!!

Jeff

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I love power pro I have been using it for three or four years now can't beat it .

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    For you power pro users, do you have to change it as often as mono, or how often do you have to change it?

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    No way will I use braid.

First, it is thinner than most lines and will "birdnest" a lot easier and is harder to fix. Second, I don't want something that will fray as easy as braid. Lastly, and most important, the line has virtually no stretch. This can result in a break on a "short rope" at the boat if your rod is loaded.

I will keep my mono and readily accept its forgiveness. :big_smile:

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I think this is my 3rd season with pp and its still as strong as the day i bought it. If it wasent for the added cost I'd have pp on all my poles. I've had a couple of bad ones when mono breaks but pp dosent streach so their is no danger of stuff slingshoting back at me ++++

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    xringer3, I would say 2/3 years on average. Maybe 4 in some cases, but in extreem situations 2 flat when required. This is everyday usage and multiple bottoms with many sharpe edges. You should check the line before you pack up after the session or before you start. The after the session will provide you with time to make corrections without stopping at the beginning. Before I normally pack for the day I remove the hook and leader so that one last cast can be made. This is done and the line is retreived under pressure and through my fingers. I also look at the line as it comes in to see immediate problems. The feeling of the line will give the best information. When you must change, it is best to move the line from one reel to another and reverse it. This is the most simple way to do it!!!! JMHO!

HOPPY4

15. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have found that Suffix Perfromance braid is much better than Power Pro. A lot of the guys up here like Fireline, which is an extremely good line as well as Suffix.

16. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    THANKS! I never thought about making one last cast to tension the line evenly at the end of each trip. I'll have to try that, it's a great idea! That's what I love about this place. There's no way I can ever know everything there is to know about this sport and I just keep learning.