super lines

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by larry again, Sep 22, 2009.

1. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I would like to know what brand,test and color super line you all use for BIG BLUES:big_smile:.how many yrds on your reel I can't make up my mind:confused2:.need data:big_smile:

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Ive got 40 pound Big Game on one, but when it comes to "super line" I have about 300 yards of power pro 50 pound in Red in front of a 40 pound big game backing on my others.

3. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I use braided line... 30# - 65#. Only 100 yrds.

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #65 Power Pro red color. I don't think the color matters fishing in the Mississippi, I just like the color. I spool as much as my 6500 and 7000 reels will hold. I always buy the 300 yard spool, but I am going to buy 150 yard spool the next time because I think the 6500 will hold just about 150 yards of #65. Good luck.

5. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

I think a 6500 will hold more it will go over 300 yards

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My experience has been that an Abu 6500 will barely hold a 150 yard spool of 65lb Sufix or PowerPro braid, basically it's a perfect fit.

To the original question, I use 80-100lb on my bigger reels, and 65lb on the smaller ones. My preference is for Sufix, Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid, or Daiwa Samurai Braid. These are much smoother than most of the competition and have proven to hold up well over time. Team Catfish Tug-O-War Braid has also had excellent reviews, but I haven't had a chance to try it.

As far as color... doesn't mater that much, pick what you like and use a mono or fluorocarbon leader. Length... whatever the reel will hold, but 150 - 250 yards is the norm. From experience, if a reel is supposed to hold 300yds of 20lb mono, and you get 100lb braid that says it is equivalent diameter to 20lb mono, it will hold significantly less than a 300 yard spool of the braid. I'm not sure if it's the braid manufacturers or the reel manufacturers who exaggerate.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have just shy of 300 yards of 80lb power pro on my tekotas.

8. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am also wondering as well. I use 20lb Mono with my drags set and it is a blast but want to try the braids. I am looking at Tug-O-War by Team Catfish as they have sample spools in 100yds. My question is, do you backspool your rod with mono then attach the braid to finish up the spooling to say 300yds? if so what knot works well with the connection, I would think mono and braid would slip. Thanks guys.

9. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    The knot is use is called an albright. It works well to tie the 2 lines together. The website says you can use different diameters but I have the best luck using the same diameter.

What I do is use enough mono backing to cover the spool with a couple wraps deep then fill up the rest of the way with braid.

Depending on how much your reel holds/how big of a spool of braid you plan on using you may want to put more backing on so that when you use your braid that the reel is full.

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Braided lines are super lines, as well as any other line that is "stronger and thinner" than mono... thanks.

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I looked over the net and seems like PP is a super line. could you please give me the link where you state to look that states its not. Here is one source tht states it is. Just tring to be more informed becasue I always thought it was.

Superline

Superline is a category given to tough, minimal stretch, thin diameter lines. Superlines are created by either braiding several strands of fibers or by fusing layers of microfilaments together. Braiding and fusing both result in a single strand with maximum strength, minimal stretch and subtleness for casting.
    The minimal line-stretch of superline gives anglers an incredible feel, equating to increased sensitivity and the ability to detect hits. No-stretch line also means improved hook sets.
    For the most part, superlines also offer good to excellent knot strength, but make sure you follow the knots recommended on the line packaging as braid can slip out of certain knots. When in doubt, use a Palomar knot. Minimal spool memory is another great feature of superlines, lasting several seasons.

Superlines are available in a few colors with green, white and fluorescent green being the most common. Some prime superline examples include:

12. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo

13. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Ed. That clears it up for me except one thing. Do you tie your hook to the braid or goto a mono leader. The reason I ask is I heard that the hookset on braid could be pulled out of the fish and the mono leader takes the shock, or does it depend on your hook type?

14. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I use a mono leader.

I tie a good quality swivel to the end of my braid.
    Then tie a mono leader to that.
    Then tie your hook to the end of that.

I use a slinker slide with a bead above my swivel but that is just how I rig.

15. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    sorry about(super lines) I meant small dia. low streach non mono line! less typing for me thanks for the info.

16. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    The way to set the hook with super line is easy lift the rod up firmly. Do not try to rip the lips off of the fish. Let the hook do it's job it will hold. As for the way to fill the spool use black tape to cover the bottom of the spool first. Then try your line on keep it as tight as you can till it is full. I use straight super line right down to the hook. I use a sinker stop I make with a ziptie that I drill 4 or 5 holes in just like the little boober stops. I make them bigger to stop sinker from slideing down to the hook. It was the only thing that I found that work with super lines without slipping. Just my 2 cents.

17. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

My bad, I type in 300 & wanted 200.
    But if (Gary Felkner) says it 150, then it is. :wink: