Super cheap & easy to make rod holders

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by jlingle, Jul 10, 2006.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I got this idea from Sal jr, so if anybody deserves credit..... I guess he really gave me the idea, I just tweaked it a bit according to the materials that I had on hand. He was using hog panels, and I had the smaller square horse panels here at the farm, so that's what I used. The rod holders work awfully well too, if I do say so myself. They're ridiculously cheap, extremely easy to make (all you need are the panels and a set of bolt cutters) and they are easily adjustable and bendable for your own needs.

Anyhow, I have been building rod holders for bank fishing out of 2"X4" square galvenized horse panel pieces. I usually cut a piece of panel that is 2" (one square) wide and 32" (8 squares) tall and just bent it up a little bit & shazam.... a rod holder that works like a champ for bank fishing!!! Make sure you cut the cross piece out of the bottoms for 2 squares up, so that you can stick them into the ground on the bank with relative ease. I'm gonna wrap the tops with electrical tape to keep them from scratching up my reels as well.

2. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey brother do you have any pics love to see some

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Jason I am trying to help him get the pics up. Give me some time.

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Yeah, the pics are on the way. I had to reach out to someone a little more "computer literate" than I am. I was sitting here havin' a little fit tryin' to figure out how to resize the pictures, so I'm sending them to tea and he's fixin' them for me. I hate computers sometimes. Heck, I can hardly operate a microwave, much less a computer. Seriously, I have to whack our microwave on top before it'll come on. :embarassed:

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Here are the pics for ya brother. I lightened up the 2nd one so we could see it in the ground. Just hollar if you ever need help.

Tea

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Cool idea, thanks for sharing!

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    man them things look neat!! i'll have to look into settin up a few of them bad boys. they look better than the peices of pvc pipe that are sharp on one end that im usin lol

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good idea catfisherman are a creative bunch thanks for sharing.

9. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey, good idea. I love this site and all the great ideas from everybody. So
    darn many I can't use them all without buying a semi-truck to haul everything
    I want to use.

10. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN

Thanks for the pix. When I looked at the first one, I thought it might have been a guinea pig ladder :lol: . But, it all came together on the second pic.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    how sturdy are these? I'm not familiar with the materials you used but i have sources to find them if i want to switch from my current Rod holders... they aren't going to be bent by large fish if they hit are they?

12. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    GREAT thinking I'll have to make some

13. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    those seem to be really nice rod holders

14. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great idea and thanks for the pics.

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Another good candidate for our library. Thanks for sharing!

16. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    thanks tea for helping him post the pics i wasnt sure what he was talking about intill i saw

17. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    intill i saw the pics thank and they look goog to sorry for the double post

18. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Bryan, the main thing to keep in mind with these rod holders, is you want to make them plenty long enough to be able to stick deeply into the ground. I don't know about the soil conditions where you fish, but in the sand along the rivers in SW Oklahoma, I have to cram these pretty deeply into the ground. As for whether or not they will bend with a big fish, it's hard for me to say. I sit right by my rods and usually have them in freespool when I'm fishing anyway. When my baitclicker goes off, I'm in "cross their eyes" mode. I never really give a fish a chance to pull mine away or bend it up.