Super braid question

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Jul 21, 2008.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I decided to try some 45 lb Power-Pro braid on my ABU 5000 to get a little more line capacity. I set my drag at 8 pounds, like I do on my mono-filled rods. I've noticed that when that rod gets bit, it jars the whole boat. I assume that is because the braid has no stretch. I did tie a longer mono leader on to act as a shock absorber. I can't tell yet if that is going to help much. It may be my imagination, but it seems that I have fewer hook-ups on that line than on my others. All of my others are spooled with 20 pound test PLine extra strong. I wonder if the fish feel the line quicker with the braid and drop it before hooking up.

I have seen the line bury itself in the reel after a hard fight, but not enough to be a real problem. I have a couple of spinning outfits and have been wanting to go to braid on them, but for right now, the jury is still out on the braid.

What do you guys think, to braid or not to braid?

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Steve I use mono. 25lb Big Game on all my reels with 50lb. mono leaders. With the proper drag settings this will land any fish out of any lake. { just my opinion} The 50lb leader stands up to abrasions better meaning you have to change your leaders less often. The 80lber I was lucky enough to catch on Monty last year as caught on this. Again proper drag setting is the key.

I think higher test braid is excellent if your fishing the PEE DEE or a river with tons of trees and brush piles were you may need to dog a fish or pull the fish out of cover or if you are Flathead fishing an area on a lake thats filled with heavy cover.

This is all just my opinion Steve. It really comes down to personal preference and what you like:wink:.

There are so many choices out there it can rattle and smoke the brain!:eek:oooh:

3. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Steve I use 110 ponnd p-linr braided on all of my rods, but I fish almost exclusively for flatheads around structure. I have found I hook up with less of the smaller fish, but have had no problems catching the ones over 10 pounds. Like I always say you should match your tackle to the size fish you are targeting. If you go after the eaters I see no reason to use braided line, but if you like the big ones in heavy cover I highly recomend using some braided line as it is exremely abrasive resistant. Also if you get stuck on some civer instead of pulling hard on the rod wrap the line around the reel 4 or 5 times and then give it a tug it will keep from burying your line.:smile2:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been re thinking myself about this I am gonna see what everone else says-If yer fishing for food you can get by with 20lb but some of us like to go big once in awhile:wink:
    Braid has toasted a couple things and repairin them..:sad2:...so I am working on transending back to mono I think.....I like the fact the braid dont have that memorey.... but?????????????????????????????????????????????????

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use strickly braid on all of my rods. My river rods are spooled with anyware from 80#-120# but that is simply because of what POP POP said alot of tims you have to muscle the fish out of lots of cover in the river. Now on my drift rods I use 40# braid more reel capacity, smaller diameter, less water drag and no stretch which is really good when you gt hung becase you dont get the boat turned around sideways trying to get it to break off. I also use a mono leader for both applications I just think it gives you that little bit of added stretch to help on impact. I have never seen a differene in my hookups but with all that being said it took a year or more for me to get user to it. I hated it for a long time but now that I am use to it and have adapted to how it fishes I wouldnt change for all the Tea in China. I sy put it on a few of rods and get use to it before switching tottally ove but give it a shot cause it is worth it.

6. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks guys. I put it on my 5000 to get more line capacity. I have only fished it twice, and caught fish both times on it. I just noticed how much more violent the strikes are on it. As for believing that I am missing more strikes on braided line, it struck me this morning that I may be seeing more pecks and light strikes on the braid that I did on mono due to the zero stretch and greater sensitivity of the braid. We may get a lot more pecks than we ever realize when fishing mono.

I have great success with 20 pound PLine extra strength on the rest of my reels, (ABU 6500's and Penn 9M's) and have not really considered changing them over to braid. I have noticed that the braid gets the bait down quickly and has no memory at all. I guess that like all things, each line has its place in catfishing.

Now, if I could just get my wife to skin and fillet my fish.......