Super bowl cattin...

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Jan 30, 2008.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Heading out Fri night to Glamis sand dunes near Brawley, Ca. Going to watch the big game with friends in RV's and 5th wheel campers. Been a tradition for several years now..... The fishing is pretty good for channels, and monster carp..... The Coachella canal runs just west of the dunes and has 5 locks that control the water flow....

Most folks take off early Sunday to head home, but we hang around and stay for two more days, and enjoy the "lack of people"..

Might have some showers or at least partly cloudy for game day but the daytime temps will be 70 with the nights getting down to 40... good firepit weather..... the temps on the sand may get up to 80 and with the "new sand" prepared by the showers, there will plenty of "clean riding" on the dunes.....

Taking the camera to record some sun-sets, and rises... and the action at the canal and on the dunes.....

Attached is a photo of my "dune fishing machine" and a past "super bowl" weekend pic....

Hope you all have a great weekend, and go get a line wet....

Bayrunner Ray

2. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey ray sound like a blast, been along time since i been out there 20+ years last time i was out there all ya see was honda red and they all had 3 wheels, on a big weekend a few hundred bikes now its few thousand:crazy:

heres my next unit http://www.gibbstech.com/mediacentre/quadski_low.php what ya think?:crazy:

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    SURE LOOKS LIKE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Man, Dale, that thing looks perfect for the river, especially when the water is low.
    You could ride the river up to the dam and drive out around it, back into the water and keep going.

5. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Ray, I don't think it can get better than that. have a great time !

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Man Ray that sounds like a great trip football,fishing ,friends.....It doesnt get any better than that.Good luck fishing hope you hang some hawgs.

7. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Reel Blues..... Yea it is a blast....1st year I went, one of my buddies crashed within 15 minutes on the sand.... He was 1 1/2 miles out, and I had to go out and give him First Aid since I was an EMT..... shock, fractured femur and wrist.... the ranger finally got there and then back over the sand and off to the hospital......Got to be carefull out there.....

I wasn' t behaving myself two years later, and went off a drop off and cracked my pubic bone on the gas tank.......11 days in the hospital.....

I just take pictures of the "nuts" and get some fish to nibble on while watching the game....

Bayrunner Ray

8. gilmafam

State:
    California

:0a24:
    YoBudd That thing is something else.... might be what Robb needs to get into the back areas of Mendota... thanks for the link....

bayrunner Ray

9. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Thats AWESOME Tom have a good time Ray wish I could afford just a few more toys, someday maybe.

Have fun

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "You can't have Super Bowl Weekend no better than that. (Fishing, Friends & The Game). :crazy:

You just have a good time out there Buddy.
    :wink:

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Brother Ray....How was the dunes? Any fish taken? Hope all is well. That rain hit ya'll down there?

12. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Robb..... "you should have been there"..... the dunes were great... until the superbowl wind came up.....boy did it blow.... 20-30 miles an hour, and then the rain came late into monday morning..... the morning ride was "SO GOOD".

but lets get back to the fishing..... Like fish in a barrel...... no kidding..

check out the photos of the action....... first we have some of the folks around the camp fire etc....

One show my "fishing machine"

bayrunner Ray

13. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Bert... you have to be there to believe it......

"road fishing":wink:

You just see em and throw to them.... the plop of the sinker scares em away.... but they come back because they are so hungry......

As you drive along the canal you see the schools of fish and sneek up on them..... check out the picks of the schools in the canal......:0a23:

The first two fish broke me off at the hook..... my power pro 65 was ok.... but the hook straightened out when I was horsing the fish up the canal bank.....lost two, until I went to the trebble to get some "table meat" for the game....

check out the schools of fish.....

The canal is about 6-8 feet at high water, but further down the canal it is lower....2-3ft. You can see the "Riffles/holes/runs" and fish in big schools.

the bigger fish were off to them selves.... dominating a hole, but then there were "groupie schools" with small and medium and large fish together .......

Bayrunner Ray

14. gilmafam

State:
    California

15. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Did all my fishing in the early am..... and sure had some great looking sights to see on the way to the canal..... 1/4 mile away....

It was a bit cold.... low 40's and with the quad going about 27 miles an hour. the wind chill factor was colder than you know what I mean....

You were glad that the RV had a heater in it.....

Bayrunner ray

16. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Here are some more pics for the folks that want to see some of the good sites......

Bayrunner Ray

17. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Because of the wind all night, and the rain to boot, I decided to forgo the fishing on monday am, and get onto the dunes to shoot some "virgin" pics of what the wind and rain can do overnight or for that mater... when it does what it did "superbowl sunday"......

I did try some wierd stuff with my quad, and ran out of forward speed on a hill, and tried to turn this big beast when I was going to slow.... needless to say, the quad rolled over as I did the downhill escape to try to get out of the way of this 500 lbs "Piece of hamburger pattie maker" as it rolled over onto me, and rolled over 5 times as it went down the hill........

"got to remember to not do that again"..... it was early, and I did not have any anti freeze in me yet..... well not to much....:wink:

bayrunner Ray

18. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    love the pics Ray,

will have to get with the next time we are at the river together.

have had a nikon d50 for a while now.....still messin up the pics.

hope to see you at the river soon.

19. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Damn Ray, glad you weren't hurt rolling around those dunes.
    Looks like you had a good time.
    A few of those small cats would make a good meal. Probably have very little fat on them.
    Looks cold out there, with the rain and all I wouldn't of been too happy in my tent. Being a So. Californian I don't like it when I get cold.

20. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Ray,

I just got finished looking at the photos of your trip, and it looks like you guys had a good time out there (That's what its all about :wink:) & I wanted you to know that I enjoyed all of the great pitchers and thanks for sharing them with us all.
    :0a31:

Take it Easy Buddy & I hope to see & fish with you later this year.
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"