Sunrise Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by FlatGetter, Feb 19, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've read in one of the catfish insiders about the activity level rises when the sun starts coming up. They say that the Flatheads think of it as Now Or Never and its like a catch up time. One time last year we been fishing at a spot until about Midnight. Then we switched spots (were fishing a small river that we cant get a boat in so we have to bank fish) so we moved down river about a half mile and set up, I caught a channel, and one of the people I fish with caught a flathead. Then about 10 minutes before the sun came up my pole goes down and I caught a 35" flathead. I was wondering if anyone else fishes the early morning for Flatheads. I think I might try it more if it will pay off.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have caught a few early in the morning. Right around sunup seems to be a good time for blues as well. Seems to be an active time for the cats to be movin about.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    FG you'll hear all kinds of things, like they stop at midnight, or only hit best on a full moon or rising water...etc. There are always exceptions to every rule. You have to put alot of time in on the waters you fish to get a feel for whats going on. Example; I've heard that the bite stops at about midnite, this I've found to be true 65 to 79 % of the time. But you have to account for your position. If you set up on a single piece of cover you are only gonna catch one (maybe two if its spawn,pre-spawn) flathead. But if you target an "area" where they either feed in or have to pass through while looking for food you can catch them at any hour. I've had a couple multi-fish nights where I did'nt even get a hit til after two am. Those fish were all between 30 and 44lbs.
    You know fun when you got two fish in the boat for pictures and they weigh over 70lbs. Just stay ALL night,maybe not in the same spot but the fish will eat at all hours.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Sunrise and sunset are both good times to me. I had a few friends catch big blues during both times, I have had some good catches during the sunset times myself. Shortly before and shortly afterwards.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    While my biggest cat was caught about 2am, I have consistantly caught fish, when doing overnighters, shortly after daybreak! Sometimes on the levees during the summer, you can hear the bells going off, as far off as you can hear, shortly after daybreak! Music to my ear's:006:

6. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've found that the best fishing for me in the early a.m. is done just out of the areas I've been able to catch some fish at night. I do alot of fishing at night in the summer months and the fish normally tend to start moving deeper in the early a.m. If I'be been catchin' em' say in a weed bed, brush pile, or hump thruout the night and the bite starts to slow, I will fan cast baits in a pattern off of that structure anywhere from 50 to 70 yds. When these fish start to move back to daytime holdin' areas thay aren't against pickin' up a little desert on their way home if it's easy pickins! Also if you're fishin' in deeper water and the shad are bustin' the surface don't be afraid to put you're bait under a bobber- the fish will suspend on their way out alot of times also!!

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    There has been several times I fished at night and at day break the bite turned on again.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think they feed all night and early morning, they just move around and you have to be in the right place..In the early morning I think they are starting to move back inot the hole and cover so you can ambush them on the way in.

9. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The one I got in my avator was caught at about 5:30 am.

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I'm with you Rusty. I have seen the bite pickup many times at sunrise. One time my dad and I put in the Ohio River around daylight and got in a spot right off where we saw fish busting schools of threadfins on the surface. We caught high numbers of channels and a few smaller flatheads there until about 10:00 am. We finally got bored with it and started drift fishing deeper water. We didn't catch near the numbers of fish drifting as we did in the am. Vern

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ive never done any good at daybreak, but by then im usually waking up or too tired to think about packing up let alone trying to locate flats :D also i am not a morning person so im not gonna be tring to get out there before daybreak.

12. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i think the rush in the morning catching catfish is better than when it gets dark

13. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i totally believe that the bites right before the sun comes up and when the sun first rises is the most productive atleast for me

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Steve or when its 1 am and you say just 15 more minutes :p

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes I've seen where the Yellow Cats turn on after daylight for about 2 1/2 hrs. and it be the best time to fish for them for awhile than.

Heck I don't like to go home when I get to the "Big River" and have seen them "turn on" big, all but from about 9 AM through 3 PM. That too may very well change too.

16. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    getter, I personally haven't fished for flatheads at or around sunup. My night usually ends around 3 to 4 am or so. I do like the idea of us trying some of that this year, as it fits my work schedule a little better. I plan on trying everything and anything to get an advantage this year.

17. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    If i could get up for sunrise i would try and test that theory out... im a night owl and as soon as that sun starts coming up my eyes start closing and im asleep. I prefer to fish from an hr before sunset to around 3 am or so just because then that way when i wake up at 4pm i haven't missed the whole day and stores are still open.

The best time for fishing though? i'd say anytime i can get the line wet... i don't really wait for the "right time" i just get on the water when i can and have my lines in the water as much as possible.

18. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    sunset, sunrise, and all the time in between. To me they're all good times to catch a kittty. I believe that sunset and sunrise are the best times to catch a kitty, as those are the times they are leaving and returning to their holes from a night of feeding.

19. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've had luck at all hours of the day and night.Late in the Evening and early morning seems to be when I have my best luck and the worst luck seems to be when I'm home watching T.V :D

20. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Most of the time that is when I get a chance to go out right after I get off of night shift I am usually on the water by 7ish fish for a couple and go home and sleep it off. Anyhow my luck seems to be a little better in the mornings than during the after noon, and I really can't tell if there is much difference from night fishing and early morning fishing.

TA2D

Aaron