Sunnies vs. Gills

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by ike whitson, Jun 28, 2006.

1. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Does anybody see a difference in or, have a preference between the two as far as bait? Or how you rigg'em?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

for me they are the same no distintion made between any of the bream family. From gills to greenies to warmouth. all rigged the same and all will catch fish. this is just my opinion and I am sure others will say the opposite and thats what make this site great a multitude of experience

3. suddawg

suddawg New Member

For myself I've seen no preferance between bluegills, green sunfish, etc.

SudDawg

4. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I do not see a difference either as the last two posts have mentioned. I do believe that the larger the bait (within reason) the better.

5. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I dont have a preference for one over the other.Just as long as they are fresh and lively.And not too small.In slow current I tend to hook any bait fish in the rear and in heavy currnet Ill hook em in the nose.I belive the flathead is an equal oppotunity carnavor,if it will fit in its face it will eat it.
    Billy

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I do have a preference, but it is due to how I hook them. I usually put the hook up through the bottom of the mouth and then through a nostril. This restricts the water flow passing the gills a little bit, so the green sunfish live a bit longer due to the big mouths they have compared to the bluegills.

Recently I have been hooking bluegills through the eyes, but a greenie will still get stuck as before.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I know this is going to sound pretty bad, but until I was in my late teens, I didnt even know there was a difference. I thought that they were all blue gill.:roll_eyes:

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Heck... I didn't know they official name wasn't "perch" until I was 22 and didn't know the difference between bluegill and green sunfish until I was 35.

After all I have learned from moving around in the Air Force and from this site I feel like I know way too much about different names for various species.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I prefer War Mouths over anything. They are great bait that is very fiesty.

10. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    I STILL DONT KNOW :sad2: