Sunfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by motard1, May 29, 2008.

1. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Are bluegills and other sunfish considered gamefish in texas? I know theres no limit on size or amount, but are they legal bait?

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Yes they are legal bait,and good bait also.

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Thats what I wanted to hear. I've been using them, but couldn't find out for sure.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Not game fish, legal bait by all means, use them & catch the big ones!!!!

5. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Just wonderin' do you hook'em through the back by the end of the dorsal fin or just in front of it? Another thing is do you scratch a few scales off or take off the tail? I just started to use them and have been taking some of the scales of near the tail and hook it towards the back of the dorsal fin and just wanted to know if I was doin' it right.

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    When I use one, I hook it behind the fin. They seem to swim better. Then when they die, I cut the guts open and let them kinda hang out.

7. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    When using perch as bait would I use a weight and if so how big? Any suggestions on rigging them.

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I do it two ways, depending on the depth I wanna fish. If the waters real deep, and I wanna fish closer to the surface, I use a 1/2 oz. weight carolina rig to let the fish swim freely. If I fish the bottom, I use a 1-2 oz. weight on the bottom, with a 3-way swivel and a homemade leader. If the baitfish dies, I sometimes put a small float on the leader about 3-5 inches from the hook to keep the bait suspended.

9. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    They are legal and my perfered bait to use. I seem to have the best luck with the heads.

10. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Tiny B is there a specific type of perch you prefer and what size would you recommend? - Lone Star-

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WHEN I USE GILL'S ON THE BOTTOM I UES A 2 TO 6 oz NO ROLL SINKER WITH A 24" LEADER AND I PUT A SMALL CORJ ON THE LEADER ABOUT 6" FROM THE HOOK ,THIS WAY THIS KEEPS THE GILL OUT THE MUD. HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK

12. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I usually catch my baait with a cane pole and I use whatever I catch, be it bluegill, sunfish, goggle-eye etc. Doesn't seem to matter. And remember Big bait Big fish!

13. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    OH IT DON'T MATTER HUH? IT IS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THEM.:smile2: HAPPY :0a23:

14. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I RECOMMEND TRYING EVERY BAIT IMAGINABLE. TRY GILLS,BREAM,BULLHEADS, OR WHATEVER YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON. I AM STILL TRYING DIFFERENT BAITS,DIP BAITS,PUNCH BAITS,LIVE AND DEAD, AS WELL AS HOMEMADE. HELL,EVEN TRY A MCDONALDS FRENCH FRY,THEY WORK SOMETIMES.

15. Texas Trapper

Texas Trapper New Member

State:
    Texas
    Back in the "Good Old Days":beat_brick:when the only big catfish we could get a Lake Arrowhead were flatheads and we trotlined, we found that bullheads about 6 to 8 inches long were some of the best bait we could find. We got a lot of big flatheads and even had the line trashed a couple of times.

16. kheath

kheath New Member

State:
    Lake Whitney Texas
    They are hard to find around my part of the country but I like to use a 6" to 8" mud cat to catch them flat heads. They will stay alive for a couple of days on a trotline.

17. kheath

kheath New Member

State:
    Lake Whitney Texas
    Sorry Trapper I did'nt see that you had already put up a post about mudcat. It's good to see that great minds think alike, but it looks like I could learn a thing or two from you.