Sunfish and bluegill

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadsteven, Jul 23, 2006.

1. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have been noticeing that flatheads seem to go after a sunfish like a warmouth faster than they will a bluegill last night i tried a sunfish on one pole and a bluegill on another pole and caught a 10 and 4 pounder on the sunfish and not a bite on the bluegill.have any of u noticed this???

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've actually had best luck with green sunfish.

3. flatheadsteven

State:
    ohio
    yea thats basically wat im sayin any type of sunfish seems to get bites quicker than the bluegill.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I don't know why but that seems to be the way it works for me, but bluegill are still better than live shad for me.

5. flatheadsteven

State:
    ohio
    yea i agree with u there shad die to quick i have caught big flats on them but i just cant keep them alive after i hook them

6. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    We always catch more fish on bluegill than green sunfish, not too sure why it's different for everybody else, but that's how it is for us.

7. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I think it mostly depends on what the flats are wanting in a particular body of water, or that particular night. JMO.

-Red

8. flatheadsteven

State:
    ohio
    reed thats kinda wat i was thinkin cuz in some waters they like bluegill beter but were i have been fishing lately they seem to hit a sun fish or rock bass faster than they will a blue gill they also hit shad alot quicker also so mabye it is just the water i am fishing

9. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The warmouth is an excellent flathead bait, and it is hardy. They will stay alive longer on your hook than gills IMO. Has anyone tried live eels for flats? Jack.

10. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'll second that. No eels for me here in KS. I don't believe in magic or "better than" bait. Timing and location are my primary concerns. If the offering/bait is sufficient, and in the path of travel, fish will be caught.

11. butlersbeagles

butlersbeagles New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I prefer Pumkin seeds then warmouths then silver sided bluegills that i catch at the reservor in town.

12. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have caught flats on bluegill, but when a gill and a green sunfish are both offered, my catch is always greater on a green sunfish. It might be that the slimmer profile of a green sunfish is more apealing, but only a flathead would know for sure.

Ralph

13. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i have never used sunfish,i cant find a place to catch them