Sundown Chicken Stew

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

This is a tasty low-fat recipe IMO. If you have fresh herbs available, use twice as much as the dried amounts.

It's rainy and cold here today, so I think this'll be just the ticket as a warmer-upper later on this evenin'.

1 (28 oz) can Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
    2 (13 3/4 oz) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
    6 (4 oz each) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
    2 large yellow onions, coarsely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup chopped celery
    1/4 tsp EACH dried marjoram, basil, and oregano
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1 (10 oz) pkg frozen lima beans

In a 5-qt Dutch oven, combine tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat.

Add the chicken, potatoes, onions, garlic, celery, herbs and pepper and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes.

Add lima beans and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until veggies are fork-tender, approx. 10 minutes.

Yield: 4-6 servings, depending on who's eatin' :smile2:

I'm a "taste and see" kind of cook with new recipes, so I suggest you do the same......add more herbs/spices if you so desire. I have no doubt a few of ya will want some hot sauce in it. :wink:

Lima beans are a good source of potassium and iron, as well as fiber.

When you buy frozen vegetables, shake the bag or box. If they are frozen in a BLOCK, that means the veggies have been thawed and refrozen.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That sounds yummy,thanks!!:smile2:

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Sounded great until you got to the lima beans.:smile2: What can I substitute?

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Prob'ly any kind of beans would work, Jim. However, I have a good buddy who also THINKS he doesn't like limas. He ate a couple bowls of this last time I made it. :wink:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the recipe Tanya. Already got some round steak out for tonight but going to try that out sometime.
    Whats wrong with lima beans Jim. I love them. My wife doesn't care for them but she will eat them now and then so I can get my fix!! LOL I get the most!!

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Ok!!! I'll try them. Better half told me there was lima beans in her soup and I made a pig out of myself with it:smile2::smile2:

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks Tanya for the recipe:wink: reps to ya

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks sound really good T...:wink::cool2: