Sunday on buggs

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CatsNstripers, Mar 23, 2009.

1. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Set out sunday for some blues. Had a the woman with me, even laid across the front deck for about 45mins in the sunshine..
    Launched out of state park just after day break, and headed towards Grassy creek, fished several different spots from grassy creek up to bluestone. Didnt fair to well for size. But ended up with 8cats up to 12lbs. Lost one at boat side in the mid to upper teen size. and had a moose literaly crush a bait to burry the rod clean into the water. Got the rod out fought her for a few seconds, stripped alotta drag, then moved off to the left, then hooked pulled. Using Gama's in 8/0 octopus circle. Snelled with a 30lb leader, 20lb main. Cant land'em all. All fish came off cut gizzard shad, I also used cut fillets off a sucker i caught while netting shad,...nadda.

Lost an anchor aswell. In grassy creek, near the 3 shoal markers Coming from the mouth. Hung onto a cable or old rope or something, Was in 15ft of water, I could pull with my hand up to the anchor shackle, but couldnt get the last 3ft of chain in and water was to muddy to see what it was hung on. I never do this, but i tied it to a cleat, and used the motor, wouldnt budge. Hated to leave it but had to.

I've come to figure this out. Its not bass that i dont like. Its the bass fishermen that make's me hate bass. (now this dont aply to all basser's) Just mainly the two boats and many others that taken the same actions over the years. But the two helmet wearing bass boaters that decided to cut between me and point i was fishing, running full speed. When fishing in the main channel, and my boat was anchored in 12ft of water, now tell me how close i was to the shoreline. I'll never understand them.......

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The Bassholes are one of the reasons I don't fish at night on the James in the summer. Some of them run Full Bore at night and I am afraid they will be looking down or to the side and not see my stern light.

3. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Same thing on Smith Mtn Lake. Ive gotten to were I keep my 2million candle powered Q-beam on my console, and you bet i've blasted it a few times. Mostly from tourist, but a few bassfishermen. Its amazing how oblivious people are to there surroundings... And just think we drive on the roads everyday with these people

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I share you guys' sentiments about Bassholes. They don't like to wave either.

I was on another body of water this weekend, and I don't know if they breed them differently down there or what, but every bass boat that passed by me while I was anchored in a creek, came off plane to no wake speed until they passed me. And some guys came trolling by on the other bank and chatted us up for a few. I was surprised.

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    travis have you been doing any striper fishing after dark yet? i'm going to try to get down again teus, but it will be around 5:00 before i get there. if so what are hitting? swamp munkys? congrats on the cats at buggs too.

thanks chip

6. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    one night you do good, the next night slow and vise versa. If you have a bad night, go again dont give up. Swamp munkeys is what i'm using with a hoping motion. Slow rolling a fluke on a jig head is effective as well.. Also Rapala F-18's are always killer in shiner and vampire colors. Give me a shout, i may be out there. I took today to clean all the leaves and sticks and scales and pepples and all sorts of crap outta my boat that the cast net and scared todeath fish leave behind..

7. starcraft72

starcraft72 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Amen Brother! Thats one reason I stopped Fishing Bass Tournaments. I have to put up with @#$holes at work...Don't need them on my time off! Me and a friend Hit the Staunton River around Clarkton Bridge while the water was in the river. Didn't have much luck but Had FUN!

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Good point about the bad manners of some bass boaters. Being a kayyaker, I am always prepared to survive a spill, but I also have enough electronics on board that I would lose a small fortune if I did.

I can assure you that many boaters look at kayakers as a means of having fun at our expense. This makes me fearful of speedboat waters; I have too much invested to lose if I capsize in some bassboat's wake. This is why I remain in VDGIF impoundments--trolling motors only.

Thanks for a great fishing report, Travis!