sunday night @ tha lake 7-19-09

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by upncomincatfishking, Jul 22, 2009.

1. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    went out sunday right before the cold front moved in. caught a 13 1/2 lb shovel on a yellow belly. missed another one right after that because it spit out my bait. then i hooked into a monster i had it on and was fighting it and it turned around on me and took off almost pulling me into the lake with it and before i could let some line out it snapped my 40lb test like it was toilet paper. i know it was a huge fish and i'm pissed i missed it i thought my drag was set better but i guess not i wont miss him again i can tell you that much. all this happened in the first half hour of being there. and the bite stopped and didnt pick back up at all for the next 12 hours.

2. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I'd say that big one was a true beast.

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    That had to be a really big one!! What kinda structure were you fishing? Channel, stumps, drop off???

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Adam we have all lost a good fish at one time or another. Always take time to properly set the drag. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. Now go get the new PB.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

No such thing as overkill in flattin.I like at least 80# braid,never know when you,re gonna need it!:crazy:

6. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Thats how they get big. They are about the strongest pulling fish I know of, well not as strong as a jew fish but you know what I mean. Again never a thing called over kill with the tackle.

7. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i was fishing a channel that runs right down the center of the lake they were movin all around swimmin into your line and draggin your line but after bout an hour and as half it just up n quit.