Sunday night on the Edisto

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by stumphumper, Aug 4, 2008.

1. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Put in at Good Hope Landing around 7 and headed up river to a hole at the end of a long shallow run. This was my first ever trip targeting large cats, mainly flat heads. Managed to catch a few bream baits before dark, then set up a few yards upstream of the hole on top of the shoal. Things started off pretty slow until I brought the baits up out of the deep (10 ft) into about 3-5 ft on the slope. THEN IT WAS ON!!! Over the next several hours 17 flatheads and six blues. Largest flat head was 27 lbs on my scale. Largest blue 13. Most fish were in the 2-8 lbs range. No monsters, but still stoked at having success on my first catfish outing. HOOKED!!!

BTW, got back to the landing at 4:00 am to find my windows smashed. Nothing missing, just some @$$holes being @$$holes! Still a good night all in all. Fantastic light show to the west and lots of owl chatter. Gonna try again in the next day or two after I catch up on some ZZZ's.

Almost forgot, 23 small channel cats on red worms fished in the deep. I'm going to take my chances with the mercury and fry up a mess of squealers....

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC! I have been wondering about the Edisto. Thanks for the report. I got your rep points started for ya! BTW: Bummer about your windows, man! Looks like you are takin' it in stride though.
    Bill in Bennettsville

3. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Great report Danny! I bought some property on the Edisto, South Fork near Bamberg and I've been wondering what may be lurking in the waters. Ever do any fishing further upstream?

4. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Steve- I grew up on the south fork near Aiken State Park, and always had great success in the saller waters. Mainly redbreast, bass, and squealers. I moved to the Summerville area about 10 years ago and have not fished up past Bob Cat landing much since then. Zig Zag is however just outside of bamberg on hwy 301. I fished there several times this spring before the water dropped and did pretty well on the bass and sunfish with a few cats caught on accident. I can tell you that from floating the river from Aiken to the beach that some areas along that stretch that are pratically impassable especially at low water. One area close by that I really like is Zig Zag Landing. Lots of deep swamps, oxbows, etc. and not far below the merge of the north and south forks. Only problem is the ramp puts you into a creek that you can not get out of at low water, but if it ever comes back up I would definetly go check it out.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You're killing me. That makes it official. I made the wrong choice. Saturday I went to the lower Santee (I may post more details later) and had a pretty lousy time. Any day on the water is a good one, but obviously I should have gone to the Edisto.

Thanks for the report and congratulations on a great night of fishing. As I understand it, the bigger fish have more mercury - it accumulates with age. Hopefully your little channels are pretty clean. I know they'll be tasty!