Sunday hunting.....

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Scott Daw, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ok folks, I come to you to do some research before I write to my legislator. In Pennsylvania, when we're not fighting over doe tag allocations & the much needed license fee increase our other great debate has been sunday hunting for deer. So I'd like to hear from both sides of the line why you approve of it, or not. And if your from one of the states that do have sunday hunting, is there any constraints applied since it is "sunday" or any other input on the matter you can contribute since you already have the priviledge my state doesnt have. I want to better understand the other sides views in the matter.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Brother I gave up hunting many years ago. I can't think of any good reason why someone, given the choice, should not be allowed by law to hunt. Unless that law exist from way back in the day when everyone in town was expected to go to church and thought badly of if they did not attend. I don't think that hunting could be attributed to Blue Laws, since it's not work, unless your going back in time once agian. Good Luck on your venture. Do you know when this law was "put on the books?"

3. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    in ohio you are allowed to hunt on sundays.for me sat and sun are the only days i get to go. i work all week(3rd shift) and the wife works 2nd and i have to watch the kid at night.so i love it adds another day that i get to go.i'm gonna have to look on the restrictions part.it used to be you had to own 200 acres or 2 neighbors going in together to own 200 acres.i'll have to look it up and get back with you.i do know it is now statewide were as before it was only in certain parts

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Kevin, I think they did away with those Sunday restrictions a year ot two ago. The weekends are the only time I get to go hunting too. Luckilly for me waterfowl hunting was always allowed on Sundays. Allowing Sunday hunting was one of the best things they did for us Ohio hunters, although I like how they prohibited ALL hunting in state parks on Sundays the same year the new law went into affect. Got to stay on WMA's or private land or on state owned water for waterfowl only.

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Not hunting Sundays has everything to do with religion and nothing to do with wildlife management. Its a self inflicted wound.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Not allowed in VA. law was passed while we were still a colony orf England. I do volunteer work for the game commission here and the director told me there was no biological reason to not allow Sunday hunting. It was a hold over from colonial times. Va like most states manages populations by bag limits and open season dates. The Game Commission is all for Sunday hunting. Unfortunately if will take our General Assembly to change the law. A warden told me three weeks ago, he thought we would have Sunday hunting within two years. I hope so.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Not hunting on Sunday makes about as much sence as not fishing on Sunday.

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I love to hunt and i am a churching going man. We have church on sunday morning at 11 i can hunt the even time.

9. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i didnt know of the changes after reading this thread i got on the odnr website and couldnt find anything on it.so you dont have to fill out the paper anymore and send it in to qualify for it.my dad always did it before so i'm not exactly sure.

10. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just combed through the new 06-07 regulation book and can't find any mention of the word Sunday anymore. Generally when they make a rule change in those books, they print the new rule in RED print the following year and then it drops off the following year. I remember a couple years ago reading about the change in private land Sunday hunting and the change in the book would have been dropped off the following year. Here's the only thing I found on the DNR site regarding Sunday hunting. Look at question 18, if there were stipulations, they would have listed them there.

http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/wildlife/FAQs/huntfaq.htm

When in doubt, always call your local district office. But anymore, Sunday is just another day of the week for hunting.

11. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Here in va we don't hunt on Sunday. I like staying home with the family on Sunday. I also think the animals in me neck of the woods appreciate that law. They get hammered in bow, blackpowder, then if they make it through that they get a pack of walkers dropped on their a** and the woods come alive with music!!!!!!!!! So one day of rest is fine with me.

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I haven`t hunted for several yrs my thoughts are its a personal thing I know how it is to only get 1 Or 2 days aweek now that I am retired I don`t fish on the weekends I let the guys that have to work have the lakes and rivers I can go most any time When most of these laws were passed most people were farmers and could go any time to hunt for food like Cheroke said you can do both