Sunday catfishing on the St. John's River

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by Phantom309, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Well, I guess this is where we are supposed to post our fishing reports.
    Not much of a report as far as any significant catches go.
    Decided to head out this morning down to "Catfish Hotel", a little cabin that sits on a deep bend in the river.
    This place is located a few miles south of Hwy #50 on the St' John's river between Titusville and Christmas.
    Went by the bait shop early to get ice, these guys (bait shops) around here don't know what catfish bait is., but, did get a few doz minnows and some dead shrimp (saltwater), just in case the minnows don't do anything.
    Hit the water at daybreak, man, this place is Soooo Looowwww ! ! A couple of places I actually had to shut my motor off, trim up, and pole to proceed. Finally got to Catfish Hotel (is plenty deep here = 8'-12' deep.
    Sonar shows fish everywhere, probably crappie (I'll take them too). Right off the bat, minnows didn't do squat, tried the dead shrimp and wham ! Started catching cats, problem was, they were all from 8" to 12", little butterball cats (brownish/yellow). Shoot, probably caught twenty or so of em (let em all go).
    Moved to several different spots, only caught one small crappie on the minnows (throw back), and, at one place had a real good pull going but, he got off.
    I noticed my son had changed out all my "J" hooks for "circle" hooks last time he took boat out. I decided I'd try them, haven't ever used them cause I like "setting" my hooks. That thing about just raising the pole and pulling them in just don't seem right to me. I got to "know" that hook has been set into that hide, etc. And after losing that good pull, I think I'm going back to my "J" hooks.
    Here's a shot of my little boat, looks kinda outa place don't it, but, she gets me there and back in plenty of style, God, ever try getting river muck off a pretty white flats boat's deck ? Took awhile at the local car wash.
    OK, Have a nice day,
    Danny

2. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks for the report.
    I usually come down that way a couple of times a year.
    Stay in Deland we like it down there.
    Hope the fishing improves for you.
    Boat looks good.
    Later

3. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    We went Thursday and today and done good both days. We stayed in Dunn's Creek just off the St. Johns. Moved from hole to hole, fishing laydowns in deep water.
    Have a Great weekend.
    Walter

4. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    That water does look low. There isn't too many places to get a boat launched over on this side of the state due to low water.
    Do you know how the water level is up around Sanford?

5. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Hootowlc3;
    We just got some rain, so water has come up a bit (St John's).
    Really can't say about Sanford, wish I could do more for ya.
    I came across the bridge on the Indian River (salt water) today and was really surprised at how low that river is, don't think I've ever seen it that low.
    Tight Lines....
    Danny

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
  7. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Yep, this pretty much tells the story !
    (attached)
    Thanks for that link Swampy.

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Phantom Your welcome Brother. I know I use to wonder if the water was low at this place or that place but had no way of finding out. Then drive 25-100 miles never knowing what's in store until I got there. Now I check that site ever time before making any plans.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Danny, that report brought back memories of some great times on the St. Johns.

10. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Here's a pic of "Catfish Hotel" from a couple years ago (with my old Alumacraft boat).
    Seems like back when I was a kid there was a bigger cabin there.