Sunday bite!!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by big cat matt, Dec 13, 2009.

1. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Went today on the upper osage and did purty good.

Ended up with 3 limits of blues and about 20 nice channels.

10 lbs was the biggest blue most were 5 +lbs,had several alot of 4 to 6 lb channels.
    Fresh shad,and deep holes.

Pics were from cell phones not to good,one was from a buddy fishin right by us with a nice blue.
    My buddy ended up with 12 fish most were channels,he didnt fish as long as we did.
    One pic was the cooler full of cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We just got done cleanin Im beat!!

Attached Files:

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile::big_smile: way to go BIG MATT !!!!!!!! AWSOME JOB BUDDY WOOOO
    H OOOOOO!!!!

THANKS FOR THE COOL PICS AND STORY NOW IM ALL FIRED UP AND WANT TO GO :wink::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

REPS TO YA ...

3. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    nice,,

4. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    I m ready too!!
    Worst thing about catchin fish is 5 minutes later you want to do it again!!!

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    nice catch congrats

6. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great report Matt. Congrats on a fine mess of winter time cats!!

7. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Nice catch !!!!! Time for a fish fry... May i ask how deep was yall fishing????

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the report Matt. Sounds like a good day.

9. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    Thanks for the pictures buddy. Thats a nice lookin boat you got there. Got my phone line in at the lake today will have dsl when they send my modem. OZMAN will be quiet no more.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Matt on a good day fishing. Enjoyed the pics. WTG.

11. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    30 to 40,thats about the deepest holes in that stretch of water.

12. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    thanks for the report. Keep them reports coming.

13. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished Saturday below Truman dam. I caught Shad from the old river channel and used whole Shad, cut Shad and cut frozen Skipjack. I caught one small Blue on Skipjack and had a couple of light hits on the cut Shad. There was no water running and the wind would actually push the boat upstream. Ther were several people pulling in Crappie off the docks in the dead channel. Any suggestions what to try next time? Water temp was about 42.:embarassed::confused2:

14. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    I was fishin on the upper osage on truman lake.They probably just were nt hittin there that day,Scotty could tell ya more about below the dam.

15. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    Jay when they are not running water the best thing to do is use your fish finder and try to find a good pile of fish close or in bait balls .

the fish should be stacked up now it may take some time to find them but once you have it will be worth it most days .

as far as using anchors when they are not running water I personally hate it even with 2 anchors the boat will allways sway some .

after you have located fish on your fish finder tie up to a tree on the bank ,,, and cast to them .

if no tree close to the fish nose the front of the boat up on the bank and drop your anchor off the back to keep you in place .

also if you have room in your boat make a couple of metal poles that you can shove in the mud close to the bank , 1 in the front and 1 in the back and tie off to them . any kind of metal pipe will work i have mine in 14 foot lengths as soon as i find 6 foot of water my poles are long enough to shove in the mud on the bottom a foot or so and have enough left sticking out of the water to tie off to .

even I in the winter find days i have to drive around for a good time looking for a large bunch of fish on or close to the bottom before I even wet a line . sometimes may take 30 minutes other days may take 2 hours so be patient .

but once ya find fish and use cut shad you should get some action on the fish you set up on . if after 30 minutes or so with no action move and find another group of fish and try again .

also with the colder water temps to come down size your bait that seems to help , bait the size of a quarter some days will out produce big baits .

I even like the 2 to 4 inch shad in winter best I cut them in half and use 2 or 3 head pieces on the hook .

large shad i use small chunks , the head short ,, or fillet them cut the rib cage section off the fillet and then cut the fillets in half and put on 2 or 3 pieces .

last time i was down around a week ago ozman and me caught several nice fish 10 to 30 lb range and some dinks in town close to the dam , so i still feel ya can do good in town .

but if you go again before i get to go and still no luck I would try down river several miles like around the oar house area .

hope this helps ya out some !!!!

good luck my friend :wink::big_smile:

16. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Nice fish! I wish I could have caught some like that saturday night.

17. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Went today it was alot slower we still ended up with some fish.Caught 12 channels and 10 blues.7lbs was big fish,fresh shad was the bait.
    Had a bucket full of fillets when we were done!

FISHFINDERS DONT LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely in the winter,no fo fish on the screen no fish in the boat!!!!!!:wink:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  18. COREY

COREY New Member

State:
    NORTH WEST MO
    do mind if i ask how deep you were fishing.:big_smile:

19. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    30 to 40 feet,that was the deeper holes there.