Sunday All-Nighter

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by Gr_Cat, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Well I'm finally reporting on our first all-nighter this summer. We got a real late start to the evening, launched out of saranac at about 11pm. The water was warmer than the air, causing a bunch of fog to roll, and very cool looking mini-cyclones that looked very cool in the fog! We hit our first rock about 3 minutes in the water. The river is insanely low! Obviously right? With how little rain we've had. Well we wanted to head to the big bends, normally a pretty quick boat ride. This night proved differently, visibility was zero, and by the time you could see the trees/logs/rocks it was too late. About half-way there we hit a shallow that even my jet could hardly make it through. Then in the middle of the river, just below the surface of the water was a 50ft long TREE! We wedged ourselves directly on top of the log! The boat wasn't even in the water! LOL! So we had no choice to get out and push her back on course. Needless to say we got all the way to where we could see the big bends, and another shallow that literally stopped us in our tracks. We could not go any further. We proceeded to just look for the largest log jams we could find. We fished a couple with live gills and not a single bite under the huge Thunder Moon. It was relaxing yes when we werent trying to navigate in those conditions. I strongly recommend that no one try to fish this area upstream of Saranac until the river goes back up! If you have a prop your done, forget about it. Anyone know how the level is around DNR park on west river drive? We fished until sun-up, it got cold, all 3 of us fell asleep and the beavers woke us up.

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Guy-
    you may have better luck reaching the bend by launching out of Ionia and going downstream, there's way fewer rocks. I hate to motor downstream too, because of the safety aspects, but when the water is this low, you gotta do what you gotta do.
    I just got back from white water rafting in West Virginia, so I haven't fished in a while. Seems like a decent hole should hold a lot of fish right now...

I stopped at Cabela's in Dundee on the way home to see the big flats in the tank. There's one in there that has to go at least 50, unless the glass magnifies it a whole lot.

What do y'all think, BIG baits with hot weather & low water, or smaller baits?

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I attempted to fish Friday on the Grand above Grand Rapids. The water was so low, that places where I usually go wide open I had to raise the motor and row the boat.
    Returning to the ramp in the dark, I had to pretty much row and drift the whole way.
    One thing that was pretty cool, was that the water was crystal clear. I was able to see the bottom in water up to 4 feet deep or more. It was a real revelation to see all the dips and bars that I could only see on the sonar before. With a flashlight, I could watch fish as I drifted along- mostly suckers and smallies. Those light sensitive flatheads must be fit to be tied, packed into the dark holes & timber like sardines... Seems like a guy could really hammer them if he could get on the water & get around, but I'm not planning to try again until we get enough rain or runoff to raise the level at least 9 or 10 inches.