Sunday....1/25 Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by JPritch, Jan 26, 2009.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Headed downriver Sunday. Got to the ramp bright and early just past 6, so I could get bait just before sunup. Damn tilt was frozen again, and I spent over an hour trying to get the motor down. I wasted all my hot chocolate and chicken noodle soup pouring it on my tilt unit to get it to unthaw, no luck. Finally some elbow grease loosened it up enough. Went into a creek for bait and had to break ice. I set the net about 3 times shallow and had 1 cutter. I figured with the cold they'd be deeper, so I tied an anchor to the gill net and dropped it in about 15 feet and that was the magic number. Pulled about 20 cutters. Note to self, when really cold, don't look for shad in 5 feet of water.

The bite was really slow all day for me. I ended up with a 35 and 36, both of which came just after setting up on a spot. Even the dink bite was almost non-existant. I'll post pics once I get home and can upload them.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I remember a time Josh, you would be dancing a jig in your boat to get two citations in a day. You have become another casuality of being spoiled by the James:smile2:

You guys are killing me. I am going to try to get out on day this week.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for the report. I will check back for the pictures.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    a 35 and a 36 sounds like a good day to me! Good job!:wink:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <You have become another casuality of being spoiled by the James:smile2:>

After fishin' the James this past weekend, you folks have no clue as to how spoiled you actually are!!!!!! :wink::smile2::wink:

Bill in SC

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Man what a lot of work just to get the trim un-froze and to get bait. But it was worth it to get a 35 and 36. Congrats on a great day of fishing.

Tom

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Thanks for the report

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    thanks for the report, what are cutters?

9. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Cutter are shad(bait fish) that are big enough to cut into pieces. Usually over 10-12 inches.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Big Gizzard shad. One pound and bigger! I have seen cutters that weighed about 2 1/2 pounds. excellent bait here in Virginia.

11. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    how do you like the new net compared to the old one josh?

12. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Lovin' it James. Went from a 30' to a 100' and that extra length makes a big difference. It's also an 8' hang instead of my old 6'. And it's not even that much harder to manage on my own. It has floats on the top every 5' or so.

If you want to get one, send me a PM and I'll give you all his contact info, OS Nets.

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Here are some pics that I promised. The 35, the 36, and the reason why these cats get so big....little guys trying to eat food twice their size!

Attached Files:

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Good looking fish. I don't think I've caught that much weight in my past 4 trips combined. You guys truly are blessed to have such a great fishery up there.

15. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks, and you're right, the James and its tributaries will spoil you quick!

If you ever get the itch to give it a try, give me a yell be glad to take you out.

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, here in a few weeks I'll be working up near Chesapeak Va. for at least a few months. I'm definitely planning on coming up there for a weekend. I'm sure whatever weekend I plan will be windy as hell and about 20 degrees but hey, I've fished in that before:smile2: But yeah, I'll be in touch with ya that's for sure. Where I'm gonna be at there isn't much in the way of catfishing, whites and channels and that's it. I certainly couldn't live there permanently......no flatheads would drive me crazy.

17. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Bill,

You just may need to swap the weights of your line and leader there...you just might have better luck. :tounge_out:

I just couldn't pass that one by! :wink:

Thanks for the great fishing report, Josh. I wouldn't mind catching a couple of those little guys!

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <You just may need to swap the weights of your line and leader there...you just might have better luck. :tounge_out:>

LOL! We did quite well, boating a "citation" fish of 43#. Caught 16 all together. Lost zero rigs.

BB in SC

19. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well, why didn't you say so, Bill! In that case, keep your rigging! :cool2:

I figured since Josh wanted to "change the subject a bit," why not force the conversation back around to lines and leaders for a little more fun? :smile2:

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Well, why didn't you say so, Bill! In that case, keep your rigging! :cool2:>

That's what I been screamin'!! :wink::smile2::wink:

<I figured since Josh wanted to "change the subject a bit," why not force the conversation back around to lines and leaders for a little more fun? :smile2:>

Yeah, I knew you were cuttin' up! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

BB in SC