Sun Screen

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by CountryHart, Jun 9, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I went to a dermatologist last week and had a spot on my left ear wacked off, a spot on my right cheek wacked off and a big mole on my abdomen wacked off. This doesn't include having my right ear and left cheek severly burned by nitrogen. Doc just called and informed me everything was fine with the exception of my right cheek being cancer. I'm due back the first part of july.
    The point of this post isn't to tell everybody i have skin cancer,,,but to empathize the importance of using sun block. All my life i acted like i was bullet proof and now it's time to pay the fiddler. Had i exercised a little common sense, this could have been avoided. With the $$$ i dropped with this saw-bones, i could have ordered a few new rod and reels.

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the sobering reminder, John. Fishermen are especially vulnerable to skin cancer due to the time they spend on the water. Reflection off the water only intensifies the amount of UV that is bathing our faces, arms, and so forth.

To everyone: Sunscreen is a must if you are going to be fishing on sunny days. Otherwise, stick to night fishing!

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Thanks for the reminder John! There were days that I can kick myself in the head for not using sunscreen. Bad sunburns really suck!:angry:

As a reminder. The SPF number of 35 is more than adequate to help protect against the harmful rays of the sun. Anything more than a SPF of 35 is a waste of money. This info was taken from a news report on the benefits of wearing sunscreen.

Mark..

4. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sorry to hear that john. But yes, sunblock is generally a neccesity. Not only does sunburn hurt... it's quite dangerous.:cool2:
    Thanks for the reminder :).

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I worked construction for 20 years and never used the stuff but I do now, being young I didn`t worry about skin cancer.

6. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    Hi.

Good that you got these things checked out!!!

I'm in the medical field in Florida and we see LOTS of this.

Mik:angry:

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, you are so right about using sun protection.

I been going to a dermatologist once a year for several years.
    He usually always freezes off some precancerous spots on my face, neck or ears and has cut out a couple. So far non cancer. My back looks terrible... it's all covered with large brown spots. But he says they are not a problem. All caused from years of too much sun. And I still sometimes don't use protection like I should.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    John, glad to hear you're going to be OK - I finally got to where I keep a bottle of sunscreen in the boat. I'm out during the night most of the summer, but I always forget in the spring when it's cool out and I'm day fishing that I can still get cooked.

You're right, sun screen is a LOT cheaper than paying the doc.:wink: