Sun dried livers

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by few, Apr 30, 2007.

1. few

few New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ive hear people talking about sun drying livers. it seams like a good idea, but i was wondering how do you keep the bugs of the livers while they are out in the sun drying?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    With all the salt that's on the livers, about the only 'bug' that will get on them is flies. If they can find the smallest unsalted spot, they'll lay eggs there. Doesn't hurt a thing.

3. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i always coat the my livers with garlic salt when i dry them out

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
  5. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Last year i tryed drying liver I tryed 6 differant ways .The one that worked was a mix of strawberry cool aid [dry] and garlic salt ,cut into bait size pieceses and dryed on an old window screen,out in the sun [keep it away from the dogs and cats
    or it kinda dissapears] I am still using it after a year I keep it in a plastic bowl with a lid in the tool box of my truck.
    No smell until wet.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    can u do this with beef or pork livers?
    we butcher cattle and hogs several times a year and only my dad and i like liver so there is always surplus.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We've had several discussions about the relative attractiveness to catfish between chicken liver, pork liver, and beef liver. And the preference seems to be in just that order: chicken, pork, then beef. By far, people reported that they had the best success using chicken liver.
    Incidentally, another bait you might want to try, since you're butchering pigs is chitlings. Like just about any bait, sometimes they work great, and sometimes cats will totally ignore them. But they are really tough and stay on the hook forever. I cut them into bait-sized pieces, coat them thoroughly with garlic powder, shrimp flavoring from Ramen noodle packets, anise, cheese powder sold for making cheese sauce, etc.

8. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Last yr I got a deer liver that had some spots on it I used it doth fresh and dryed it worked good.

I cut it into long strips and dryed it like they made jerky on the tv show good eats .
    they used ac filters and a big box fan and some bunge cords .Lay your marinated strip of meat in the lover on the filters and stack them on the fan ,tie them down and stand the fan up and let it run for 6hr or so check for dryness
    workes real good
    mule : note stack up to four filters not less than two

9. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    They sell turkey liver at the bait shops around my way. They work pretty good and stay on the hook better than chicken livers. I can only find them at the bait shop though. I have yet to see them at the local grocery store. I have cured my chicken livers in the sun once before and they do stay on the hook better, but boy do those things make me gag! I keep hearing about chicken hot dogs with strawberry kool-aid, so I think I'll give them a try next.

10. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I tried it one time with no success. I later read on here that you need to use non iodized salt. Which I didn't, I used regular table salt. They say the iodine in iodized salt turns the fish away. I don't know, just passing on information. Hope this helps.

11. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Nate ,
    I have had good luck on the cheepest hot dogs soaked in vinegar garlic powder grape jelly and sardine oil.
    Just cut your dogs up to hook size peices put all the above in a zip lock bag and let it soak in the fridg for a couple of days.
    Good luck !

12. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i take liver put it on wax paper and set it in the sun, the bugs help it out alot, not sure how but just let them bugs do there things then take it and place in a ziploc bag or bowl for when ur ready i use treble hooks or liver hooks for these and they stay on well. i also take a lil liquid smioke and pour over them before i set them outside. gives them a good aroma