Sun burn before and after

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cliff n york, Aug 6, 2006.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    like the subject line reads, what do you use

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Before - sunscreen spf 45+
    after - not a problem with spf 45+

I have used aloe vera juice for burns. You use to be able to buy it by the gallon at Sam's but I haven't looked for it in years.

ST

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I burn real easy and what I keep on hand for any burn whether it be sun or something fire hot is aloe Vera jel from Wally world. That stuff is a miracle in a spray bottle.

4. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    If you get sunburn take a shower at temp hot asyou can take it.it helps to pull the hot out. then spry with aloe vera.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    beleive it or not, to cool and help heal a burn cut a ripe tomato in half and rub the halves and spread all the juices on your burn! trust me, it works! in my opinion way better than aloe vera and reduces peeling.

6. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    Never heard of the tomato thing. I will have to try it next time I get burnt.

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I found a very effective cream to use for sunburns...Noxzema.

Been using it for years, whenever i happen to get burnt. Discovered it on accident many years ago. Had been out in the sun all day and got burned up pretty bad. I went over to my girlfriend apt and was looking for some kind of cream or something and the only thing she had was Noxzema....i gave it a try and it worked great! It actually 'takes the burn" out very quickly.

cyas
    rc

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm with Seedtick. I use Coppertone spf45 sunblock. I've never had sunburn when I use it. I did try some bullfrog this year, it didn't last long, and I still got burned. The coppertone lasts me all day long, even in this hot weather. I've had quite a few skin cancers/precancers removed in the past several years, most likely from all the sunburns I suffered when I was young and stupid, according to the dermatologist. I don't even use the tanning bed anymore, that I bought for the wife and girls.

9. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    You can also use witchhazel to draw the heat out. Just soak a cotton ball and lightly rub over the burn. Very cool feeling, and really helps.

10. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm with rcneman. Noxema is great stuff. I don't know where she got the idea but that's all my mom used to use on use when we were young. It works great and you can feel it drawing the heat out.

11. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    All of this information can be found at www.webmd.com.

Home treatment measures may provide some relief from a mild sunburn.
    • Use cool cloths on sunburned areas.
    • Take frequent cool showers or baths.
    • Apply soothing lotions that contain aloe vera to sunburned areas. Topical steroids (such as 1% hydrocortisone cream) may also help with sunburn pain and swelling. Note: Do not use the cream on children younger than age 2 unless your doctor tells you to. Do not use in the rectal or vaginal area in children younger than age 12 unless your doctor tells you to.
    A sunburn can cause a mild fever and a headache. Lie down in a cool, quiet room to relieve the headache. A headache may be caused by dehydration, so drinking fluids may help. For more information, see the topic Dehydration.
    There is little you can do to stop skin from peeling after a sunburn—it is part of the healing process. Lotion may help relieve the itching.
    Other home treatment measures, such as chamomile, may help relieve your sunburn symptoms.

Medicine you can buy without a prescription Try an over-the-counter medicine to help treat your pain or fever:
    • Acetaminophen, such as Tylenol or Panadol
    • Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs):
      • Ibuprofen, such as Advil or Motrin
      • Naproxen, such as Aleve or Naprosyn
      • Ketoprofen, such as Actron or Orudis
    • Aspirin, such as Bayer or Ecotrin

Hope this helps. I usually do most of the above. The cold showers really help take the sting out of a bad sunburn. Prevention is the answer with spf 45 sunscreen with several applications if your out all day.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I use the Coppertone spray-on sunscreen - it takes just a few seconds to put it on and you don't get it all over your hands in the process. You don't have to rub it in or anything - just mist it on and you're done.

Sunscreen on your hands means sunscreen on your bait and that leads to fewer fish in the boat.

13. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use bullfrog sunblock its water proof and sweat proof i havent had a sunburn since i was about 15 i allways use sun screen and sun glasses when in the sun it's not the burn you have to worry about its the skin cancer.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Bullfrog are No-Ad have been my favorites

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    before: spf 40. After: ear plugs to drown out the wife while she's badgering me about not wearing protection! LOL!

16. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Gold Bond Medicated Cream, when you put it on your first reaction is going to be, "Oh my, I shouldn't of done that". After a few seconds it will cool down and you'll be amazed at how good it will feel. I've been burned so bad I couldn't put a shirt on and tried it and was fine as long as I kept applying as needed. Good stuff! I've had employees who were going to take days off because of sunburn and told them about it and had them stay on the job after using it.

17. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Dont go out during the day! :lol:

I work nights and fish nights so about the only time I am outside during the day is while catching bait. I havent been burnt this year but I have been getting some color.

18. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    lol I have never really had a problem with that at all except for on skin that rarely gets exposed... like first time in the spring i'm out fishing and i roll my sleeves up (only after 5 hrs+ on the water though)... and places which never see sun like everything covered by the undershirts i wear and my underwear... Other then that i just tan and don't burn So i dont' use anything before...

If i do get a burn its usually not bad but i'll use aloe 6 or 7 times a day till it goes away and then again for a few days after so it doesn't start peeling...

19. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Lately I've been moving up to the highest SPF I can get. I have tattoos and that helps them not fade, plus skin cancer doesn;t sound like something I want to mess with. After I use any green aloe vera product to keep it moist.

20. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I tell you I learnt my lesson, we went out last thursday and I wore a tanktop WITHOUT any protection. What an idiot. I am still feeling bad and my shoulders are killing me, next time I will use some protection. They say vinegar helps but only for a few minutes when you lay down at night it is horrible.