Sumter area fishing..

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by harper81, Apr 8, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Well I have been here in Sumter for a little over a year and I now want to get back into fishing, but mainly catfishing. I have gone to the Wateree River at the 378 bridge and have not caught much of anything. Plus it is always crowded on the weekends so you have to sit there and wait for a spot to open. I am not looking to catch the monster cats, just some 3-8lbers. So any suggestions on places nearby that I can try out would be appreciated.

P.S.
    I have no access to a boat so I need to be able to fish from the bank.

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    you could always come up 97 and fish lake wateree,you can fish from the bank at clearwater cove or come on up to cedar creek landing,there are platy of spots to bank fish there,its pretty crowded this time of year with people fishing for stripers also,but a good spot to pick up some cats,maybe even a hawg blue too,stumpy pond is along same rd,a few spots to fish bank there too at landing,hope this helps

3. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bill, What kinda bait are you using? Fishing from the bank there at 378 use a stink bait ( I use sewer bait) and fish toward the middle of the river and you should have really good luck with the channel cats, just take a lot of extra trible hooks, stick bait setups because they will shallow your set up. They should be plenty of 3-8# to be caught using this method.

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Is "sewer bait" a brand name for a kind of stink bait?

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    We are using nightcrawlers and bream cutbait that we catch right there. My main problem is the guys I go with are really impatient. I can sit there all night and not catch anything, and I am fine. They sit for an hour or so and they are ready to pack it up. I have managed to catch one baby blue cat each time so I know they are there we just have to find the bait they want that night and I think we will be good to go. But we are going to try Lake Ashwood this weekend and maybe go down to Marion one of these days. I just hate fighting for a spot to fish.

6. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sewer bait is the name of the bait, we get it from Harry's Fish Camp that is the only place i have seen it.
    Bill we fish out of Packs quiet a bit and that is not to for from Sumter. Pm me if you are interested in going out sometimes. There is always room for you.

7. Tarheel Cat1

Tarheel Cat1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    :0a26: :0a25: Bill you can go to Santee Lakes and fish off the banks.We were down Easter weekend and I got a nice 36 pounder.We were in a boat to_Our friend said someone caught a 29 pounder at Randolph's Landing fishing on the banks.Hope you get you a bigggggggggg one.