Summertime river blue cats

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by JPritch, Jun 24, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Any of you river guys out there, how do you target blues during the summer? I will be making my first trip since April, and could use some pointers. Last summer for me was dreadful, I don't think I cracked 10 lbs after numerous trips. I got the hang of winter fishing though. But this will be my 2nd summer fishing for blues, and hope to do better this time around! I appreciate the tips and advice!

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    BTW - I will be night fishing.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Try the shallow flats close to their daytime hideouts.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks Doug - How shallow are you talking about? And what would be their typical daytime hideout? The typical channel depth is 25-30 ft. But there are some really deep holes, 60-90ft scattered about, should I be fishing the flats closer to those deeper holes?

Any of you guys have any luck in the creeks?

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Don't be afraid to try the channel either at night. You got to hunt them down. Today could be different then tomorrow. The trick is though if you have 5,6 days of solid steady weather it's easy to pattern them.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The bite for me has slowed in the river since the late winter/spring has passed. We're still catching fish when we go, just not as many. Probably need to start fishing at night a little more.

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Control Drifting the sand bars and edges of the channel will produce!:wink:

8. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fish for them between 7-10pm I'll locate them off humps and holes and I'll set up on the edge of the current and let the bait fish bring them too me. I mostly locate the bait so when they feed i'll be there. Kinda like deer hunting locate the food source and get ready.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Zing here now during the day, The fish are staying around 30ft deep or feeding on the mussel beds. So betting if you set up on the mussel shell beds, That is a start.
    Pete

10. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I think it's definately night fishing season.