Summertime catfishing

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Feb 28, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Midsummer catfishing for me has been slow to say the least, from a really slow bite to no takers at all. I fish with my brother in law in northern Indiana on the Wabash and Salamonie rivers, and was wondering if anybody out there has any advise on how to better my odds of catching these summertime cats.

2. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC! "Mid-summer" might be right during the flathead spawn which can be a little slow. Are you getting right near the nasty snags where the cats call home? Keep at it.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've got some of my biggest fish in mid-summer. Anytime you get an overcast day or some rain, get on the water...that usually spurs a bit of a feeding spree. Also, I've noticed I do my best between 7-10 at night and from 5-7 in the morning, for whatever reason they don't seem to bite very well at any other time. Never fished the Wabash or Salamonie, so maybe somebody else can be of more help.

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome !

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Rick is right, hit the water when its on the rise. Gushing creek mouths after a big gully washer put the cats on the feed. I like using live gills or shad at least 5-6'' long fished on the bottom on a big circle hook. Also shallow cover near deep water is a good choice. Most important thing is being patient, some nights you can do everything right, and the fish just never show up.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would try fishing big LIVE shad in some nasty breaks. And like they said, especially when the river is rising and during low light hours.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    they hit it on the head bro. i know we can wait till it rains all the time to go fishing, but it definitely the best time to hit it! set up at the mouth of a good creek and be quiet on the bank and you should have a good time! dont be afraid to fish along shore on both sides of the creek and also up in the creek. for those times you just have to fish and the water isnt up stick close to the deeper pools. fish the pools in the day and the shallows around them at night. if your not after strictly trophies get ya some danny kings punch bait in blood flavor! the channels love that stuff on my waters up here.:wink: