Summertime Blues During the Day?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by FATFLATTIE, Jul 21, 2007.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    This may sound like an extremely stupid question, but do any of you guys do well fishing for blues during the day this time of year? I have absolutely zero experience going after blues during the summer months and was wondering if this would work. I've seen a couple of guys around here catch some blues during the day, I was just wondering if would be better to go at night or if it's just as good during the daylight hours. I'd like to stay off the river at night if at all possible but if it's what I gotta do it's what I gotta do. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Wes,
    Yes you can catch cats (blues) during the day this time of year. I fish day time exclusively. The big fish in my avater was caught at 9:45 in the morning. The key to catching fish during daylight hours is holes. That's right, holes. I run the river fishing hole after hole. I always anchor on the up current end of the hole and fish the front edge and then the middle of the hole. Give it a try. I catch several fish over 20# every summer and all are caught during the day. Anyone that knows me will tell you the I believe the hotter it is the better the fishing gets.

3. jlangford

jlangford New Member

State:
    texas
    Same here in Texas. Two weeks ago i set 20 jug lines out in Cedar Creek Lake about 0900 in the morning. Two hours later i did a spot check of the lines and caught 8 eatin size ( 2-3 lbs) and one 10 pounder. I was in about 25-30 feet of water and there were jet ski's and other boats running all over the place. The 10 pounder was the largest blue that i have caught so far and when i pulled him to the surface i saw that he had straightened my circle hook out, just the barb was all that was holding him. That is where i found out that if you stick you thumb in their mouth to grab them the fish will proceed to bite the fool out of you.

4. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have caught some blues during the daylight hours in the summertime. Most of them will be early before the recreation boats get started but have gotten some around 11:00 am. After that the ski boats, etc chase me off. Wednesday I caught 16 and 17 pounder at 9:40am.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The river I fish really doesn't have "holes" per say. Should I fish anything that's 5-10ft deeper than most of the other water or should I get up in the creeks and try to find holes. Also where I'm planning on fishing there are some nice bridges and piers, should I try those as well? I know those are good spots to fish at other times of the year so I'm sure they would hold fish during the summer. One last question, do you ever fish the back of the holes or is it just not worth it?

6. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I CATCH ALOT OF BLUES DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS ON JUGLINES,BUT ON MY HOME LAKE WE HAVE RESTRICTIONS OF WHERE YOU CAN SET TROTLINES OR JUGS (TROTLINES AND JUGS NORTH OF BOAT RAMP AND SKING SOUTH OF BOAT RAMP)THIS IS REALLY NICE ,WE DONT HAVE TO MESS WITH THOSE #$%^ JETSKI OR SKIERS:wink:

7. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Wes,
    If your river meanders, you have holes. The outside bends of rivers usually have scower holes. The logs, trees, and other things washed down a river during high water will stack up in these bends. Couple that with the deep scower hole and you have a catfish condo. The reason I only fish the head (up current end) and the core (middle) of the hole is because that is where you will find the more aggressive (feeding) fish. Look at it like this.

Catifsh (larger one's) are preditors. They have to hunt for a living. Now, everytime they get hungry they have to hunt and be successful to eat. Their not successful everytime they hunt. Some are better hunters than others. As the sun comes up they (catfish) head back to the comfort of a deep hole with cover. The one's that were not as successful or not successful at all will position themselves to take advantage of any food the current may send their way. That usually means these fish will be at the head of the hole behind or beside cover that breaks the current. That way they can feed on anything the current brings to them. Picture the hole as a family reunion. The hungry folks get at the front of the line and the rest just sorta hang back waiting for their turn.

Hope this helps.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if the area u are fishing has an avrage depht of 6 foot and you come to a place that is 10 foot deep thats a hole.it doesnt have to be 30 foot deep to be a hole.also on shallow water i have found that structure holds more fish than any thing else.

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, the area of the river I fish all the water is around 30-40ft deep. I guess I'll just have to look harder for those holes on the outside bends. Thanks a lot for the info guys.

10. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The one in my avatar was caught during daylight hours...just 2 days ago...i caught him at 7 am! I was fishing the upper side of a deep hole in the channel on the MO river! I have caught several Nice blues all throughout the hot day time hours...most of the come in the evening hours ( 4-9pm). I hope this helps! Rule of thumb...fish deep hole during the day and the shallows up from the holes during the night time hours!

Matt

11. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I've caught them in the middle of they day with boats all around. Matter of fact once I had jugs out and every time a boat went by one of the jugs i would catch a fish.

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Yes, blue catfish can be and are caught during daylight hours, often. I have caught most of my bigger blues during the daylight. And alot of them were caught in the heat of the day. Blues like to hole up as others have said and will readily take any bait that is put in front of them. Vern

13. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My biggest blue was caught in daylight fishing about 10-12 feet under a bobber on a 6" chub head

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, I went Tuesday, but with no luck. I'll have to go back out and give it a try again. Thanks for all the info guys.

15. mjghunter

mjghunter New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    You just need to pick the right:eek:oooh: spot when fishing during the daytime

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yep , same here,using slipfloat ,My PBest in my avitar weighed in at 57lb caught suspended at 7-71/2' on edge of a rock ledge then dropped to 13- 13 1/2' of water,around 11am or so useing 4" shiner, I've caught 2 other bluecats this year off the same ledge a 39 and 53 pic are posted.:wink:
    My bro fish's at night, and myself I like to see whats going on during the day, snakes and the coons and whatever else thats out hunting for food, besides myself LOL:smile2:, but he talked me into going to cambellsville ky this friday to fish all night.

17. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Remember don't just fish just any hole, make sure they have structure say like humps or any other structure. if your getting snags your in the right place.

18. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to fish the cape fear river out of fayetteville, nc, the center of the river was only about 8-10 foot deep, but the edges is where the holes where, anywhere from 20-40 foot deep. I would fish between the log jam or timber on the front side of the hole. sometimes I would only be 10 feet of the shore. It seem if I was into small fish moving to the other side helped. Any little creek feeding into the river also produced holes. The biggest problem was when the hurricans came through it would fill in my holes and I would start the search again.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    YES!!!
    I don't know why people get hung up in this notion that catfish have to be caught at night!! :eek:oooh:

My personal best 55 pounder in my avatar came during daylight hours. My second largest catfish at 44 pounds came during the day. My third largest at 39 pounds came during the day. 85% of the over 500 fish I have caught this year came during the day!

Fish eat when they are hungry, not at a certain time or just when it gets dark. Fishing during the day means doing some things different than night fishing. The set-ups you are using at night will probably not work for day trips. Catfish, along with the bait, will probably be deeper to escape the sunlight, sun warmed water, and boat traffic.

20. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    The only reason I started night fishing again was to catch flatheads. Almost all the channels/blues I've caught have been during the day. On the NE Cape Fear and the White Oak we fish creek mouths and outside bends that have good cover (logjams). Just keep moving every 15-25 min. untill you find them. Keep a mental note (or journal) of where you catch them because generaly speaking the same spots will produce trip after trip.

Hope this helps