Summertime Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by FATFLATTIE, Jun 30, 2009.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Anybody have any tips on fishing for blues in the summer time? I guess I should preface this by saying that I fish tidal rivers that average about 20ft deep with the typical deep holes, flats, creek mouths. We do well from the fall through the spring but the summer through early fall just can't seem to get them. Just wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction. Shallow or deep, night or day, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    If anybody can, I sure would like to go a fishin with them!

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i fish for big blues down here in arkansas and the blues in my home river are hanging in the swiftest water that i can find. i guess maybe the oxygen levels are better in the swift current. who knows, but i've not had any luck in the slower deeper pools. they usually hold on the lower end of these deep holes where the water picks up speed heading into the shallow spots.and in the real swift spots i can usually find them on the edges of the swift current. hope this helps.

4. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hey Wes , I don't know how well you know the bottoms where your fishing , but in the last couple years I've started noticeng that the bigger blues are holding of on the sandbars . You might have to fish the hole sandbar , but you should be able to find some . The ones I fish come up from around 15-16ft water depth to 7-8ft water depth . Try this and see if it helps you catch a couple . Also I don't know if you move right away if you catch a fish or two because the waters stirred up, but dont when fishing your sandbar . Good Luck :wink:

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I haven't put in the time during the summer that I do during the winter, but I also fish a tidal river....and last summer, best fishing was at night. Found some on the channel edges I assume cruising through. The best spot was a creek mouth, early AM/dawn in about 6' of water. I definitely agree with the saying that they cruise the shallows at night in search of food.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I appreciate all the help guys! Keep it coming b/c I'm sure it'll be helping more than just myself. Nick, I don't know if there is too much sand up around where we fish, most everything we get around is a mud or hard bottom. Might have to do some searching and try to find some sandy shallower spots and give it a shot.

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have about the same problem, sometimes I can catch a few but summer time I pretty much quite trying I have fished every which way I have been told, I haven't really found anything that works yet. Once you find out let me know. I know there are guys that can do it and do it well but I just stopped trying in the summer. It's time for jug fishing in the coves and running trot lines for me.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well , them blues in the south act totaly differant than the ones in the snt lois alton area, i dont know alot about them other than the reoson they hang out in swifter water is due to the fact they need more oxagen then flatheads, and shad go deep and thats a main food sorce, but it seems you can get them from the bank south of illinois, on the miss, its hard to bank fish,

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Go DEEP. They should be in all the deep channels and possibly around some kinda of strcuture just away from it.. Have to try many different baits, and different areas that potentially hold giants.:smile2: