summer time river catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catmanoneufala, Aug 10, 2009.

1. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    water temps in the high 70's to mid 80's fishing has been slow for our local tourney. late day into the night fishing.. where will the big blues be deep water or shallow...we have some deep water in the 40-50 ft range...just cant figure the fish out....can anyone give alittle advice

2. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Personally, I'd make sure and stay close to shore, just up river from deep water, log jam's provide shade and structure, you may have to be quick on the trigger to keep from getting hung up, and use live perch, gills, or goldfish. Hope this helps, and good luck.

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been pulling fish out of the Ohio anywhere from 30-55' deep. Drifting can be a good way to locate fish and you will start to see a pattern of places you always get fish.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah as the above posts have said.. in those kinda temps you wanna keep it more to the shallow side as this water temp is in the middle of spawning stage.:wink:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Spawn has been complete for some time.

Eric as you know the fish are very slow and lazy right now. The last three times we have been out, I have caught fish in a very similar pattern. DEEP! as deep as 55 feet. What I have experienced is that we have to leave the bait in the hole a little longer than normal. I typically will move after 20 minutes and no takers, but these last few weeks, its been more like every 45 minutes to an hour. Last week, I sat in that hole for about 3 hours and pulled in 3 fish. I doubt I would have had that kind of patience if the boat was working properly however.

Late in the event, I thinkthe fish will become more active and we will have to find them in intermediate water that allows them to feed.

6. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    thanks to everyone for the info...it worked very well deep water was the key....missed 4 big fish but the info was great...now time to upgrade the size of the hooks to match my bait..lol...again thanks