Summer time lights

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Salmonid, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Now that I have a bigger boat ( 17.5 ft Deep V vs the flat bottom 14 ft)I will be looking into a lighting system for the back for flattie fishing durring the warmer months. Wondered what the locals thought about the rope lighting vs the blacklight options? Pros vs cons and how much battery drain is on each of them. Any thoughts since now is the time for me to get this stuff all ordered and set up.

Thanks, Salmonid

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i like the rope light !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    mark can i ask, how do you flattie fish? and maybe im misunderstanding on the lighting? rollo

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have used the blacklights and they are nice. They have some that are battery powered and 12 volt powered. I think the black light is the way I am gonna go, makes a huge difference on the big river at night when you can see your lines well...IMO:wink:

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Best of both worlds. Low battery drain, very little attraction to bugs, and lights up the line like you would not believe. (You must use Floresent line with a blacklight)
    Moon Lite LED blacklights.

Thanks
    David

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Big Dave ... can you put a name (make) and a source for those ... would like to take a look at them ..... I was wondering the same question that Sal asked

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    The brand is Moon Lite and the style is Full moon. I use the cordless versions so I don't have wires all over the boat. I have the jacks installed in the gunnel's of my Tracker and I am installing brackets with the jacks in my Lowe. The jacks are female electric guitar jacks.
    The Moon Lite company doesn't have a web site that i know of but if you google Moon Lite blacklight (or Moon Lite LED black light) you can find several sources for them.(don't think I can post a link to a retail web site for the lights) They are going for about $150 each online for the Full Moon version but I paid $125 each for mine. They are pricey but well worth it if you fish a lot at night and I do. I have four of the Full Moon versions. Moon Lite also offers a Half Moon that is not as much $$.
    If you don't have any luck, PM me and I can give you the name of a marine that might be able to help you out on them.:big_smile:
    Thanks
    David

8. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have led lights in my boat,less battery drain and the bugs love em lol need to try summin different like the black lights.

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Rollo, while I do a lot of bank fishing for flatties, i wat to have a rig set up for the Ohio River or bigger lakes so that I can have alight sorce that is easily turned on/off that will light up the inside of the boat when im unhooking a fish ( on that rare occaision) , rerigging after a snag, loooking for my cooler with snacks in it, etc. While I usually use clickers when flattie fishing, it still wuld be nice to see the lines so that would be a bonus. I was thinking the rope lights would be easy to string along each side and easily be turned on/off and would not be so bright as to attract bugs and best of all is pretty cheap. Big Dav's idea sounds greeat, BUT NOT AT THAT COST...:eek:oooh:
    I use headlamps and micro flashlights but when everyone is in a panic with a landed fish in the boat, it would be nice to see enough of where everything is so I dont step on pliers, camera, fish, net and the sort. Does that help?

Salmonid

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Rollo, while I do a lot of bank fishing for flatties, i want to have a rig set up for the Ohio River or bigger lakes so that I can have a light source that is easily turned on/off that will light up the inside of the boat when im unhooking a fish ( on that rare occaision) , rerigging after a snag, looking for my cooler with snacks in it, etc. While I usually use clickers when flattie fishing, it still would be nice to see the lines so that would be a bonus. I was thinking the rope lights would be easy to string along each side and easily be turned on/off and would not be so bright as to attract bugs and best of all is pretty cheap. Big Dav's idea sounds greeat, BUT NOT AT THAT COST...:eek:oooh:
    I use headlamps and micro flashlights but when everyone is in a panic with a landed fish in the boat, it would be nice to see enough of where everything is so I dont step on pliers, camera, fish, net and the sort. Does that help?

Salmonid

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i was wondering, never heard of rope lights etc. i fish in the dark, and use a led/red light when needed for retieing. i have used a big search light to steer flats from cover though...rollo

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The white light that you are required to have turned on provides a good bit of light. I find it is enough to see by for most things, I do use a small led headlight for times when the white light isn't quite enough.

13. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I don't use lights either except for 3 or 4 glow sticks scattered in the boat, Can usually see good enough to rety and rebait with one. If more light is needed I use a headlight as fast as possible