Summer time catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fisherman94580, Feb 15, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've read a few times that in summer the catfish wont be on the bottom of the lake, river, etc... So is it better to use a slip bobber in the summer, or will fishing the bottom work just as well

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    All time I use bottom rigs. but never catch on bobber.. depend you can catch on bobber or bottom rigs as well.. but my opinion is bottom rigs is better...

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Try all techniques and see which one works best. Catfish are not always on the bottom. Ive seen them hit on the top where i fish. Ive caught them on floats before.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I think what you're referring to has to do with the thermocline that is present in the summer when the temps get really hot. The fish will tend to congregate just above, just below, and within this thermocline since it has the most oxygen. When this situation is present, a slip bobber technique is ideal because it allows you to suspend the bait within the thermocline.

I don't know how you can determine at which depth range the thermocline is at without a good fishfinder other than trial and error.

I can't really explain much else, but you can do a search on thermocline, or maybe a more informed member can chime in.

Tight lines brother.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I learned to catfish in Greenlane reservoir which is a water source for reading PA. It has not vegetation just rocks and sand and gravel. I found fishing for channel cats here that during the summer they like to hang around deeper pockets or along the deep side of sand bars near the openings of bays. but as the sunsets, they start pushing shallow following the schools of baitfish & panfish like crappies. Now Im learning to fish a new lake with is chock full of weedbeds and timber, different forage base, structure. so Im starting from scratch learning to fish stuff that I've never had to deal with before.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yes, it can work. Like tomcat said, learn to use all techniques. There are better times than others when it works well. Certain conditions play a part. The truth is that catfish are not always on the bottom and feed anywhere in the water column.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats truth, I use a slip bobber in the Spring and Summer. Cats are more active in the Spring and Summer. I do bottom fishing in the Fall and Winter.

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i dunno, i fish more on bottom in summer than anytime. i just fish different depths of bottom and different times of day. for flatties i look for sandbar where it is between 18 & 36" of water and have live bait carolina rigged.
    for channels i fish about 6-10ft of water and have cut bait or stink bait carolina rigged
    have never summer fished for blues so will let u know how that turns out this fall.

9. kansas bluecatter

kansas bluecatter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Blues do suspend and we catch them regularly suspended 10-30 feet off bottom depending on water depth. Like Wyliecat and Tomcat suggested, try different things because the more techniques you learn the better all around angler you become. I should clarify that most of the suspended Blues I catch are in a summer pattern. John