Summer Time Catfish

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JEEPER, Jun 8, 2009.

1. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I am new at this lake fishing so could you guys fill me in on the patterns of the bules and flats as the temps start to warm up. I kind of take it fresh cut shad is the best for the blues. Where are they in the morning, afternoon, and at night. How deep are they in those 3 times. Will be using jugs mostly maybe rod sometime. I have a boat if that help but no electronics.
    Thanks guys

2. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    anybody with info

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I am never surprised where i catch cats...sometimes in the summer the action is fierce in the top half of deep water,,and others on the bottom.

I am always amazed when runnin' trot lines the 1st hook about 1 foot off shore and 8" of water will produce the biggest fish...

Shad chunks or filets work best for my blues..
    The gizzards have always produced the channels...right now the channels i have been catching are in the rocks ,,some still have eggs and they are big eggs...

Going to Tbird tomorrow if the rain cooperates..and try to pull some out of the rocky dam with some worms.

I used to set my jugs all over the place till i found the fish..that was years ago at eufaulla..5 hooks each jug evenly spaced

I do a lot of driftin now

4. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    oops mods please delete this message

5. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    blues are nesting now, they are in shallow water, when they come off the nest in a few weeks they will be in the summer pattern, that means skattered. i suggest you fish areas 10' to 2', if gar move into the area you are fishing, move to another spot. this summer pattern is on now until winter. have fun! be safe!

6. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    its almost getting to the point that if it is water it will hold cats. My biggest channel was caught on a minnow in less then 3" of water. I was crappie fishing and just put the minnow in the water to keep it alive while I was adjusting the float.

As it warms up I have found that the channels like to hang out where I would. In the shade where its cool. At night the tend to venture out. So during the day I like to target areas where it could be a little cooler, but mostly I fish as night and just find someplace comfortable where I can wait it out. After all I am out to just enjoy nature.