Summer large mouth bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by kickin_wing, Jul 12, 2006.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In the hot summer months the bass will move deeper in to cooler more oxygenated water. Here were i live they are in thier full summer patern. In big lakes they will be in 8 to 25 ft of water most of the time, and in the deeper 20 ft range in the middle of the day. They like heavy cover such as brush piles, or rocky ledges and drop offs. Some good lures to use are 7 or 10 in power worms, zoom brush hogs, bigger jigs like 1/2 oz or even up to 1 oz, deep diving crank baits, and tubes. Hope this helps.
    :0a23:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Yes they can be found there but don't forget about the very back of coves under the heavy brush and riprap and up in feeder creeks. Use jigs and pigs, salamanders and finesse baits.

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Where I am fishing they are still hanging out at about 2' deep. But then again there is a LOT of moss in these places, so they have shade, food, and with some wind action they have plenty of oxygen.

The moss does make them hard to get to. There are very few baits I can use, but the best seems to be the weedless frogs that can go right across the moss without hanging up on any of it. Luckily there are frogs in there too, so it's something they are used to seeing and feeding on.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The last time i went out i caught a nice 4 lber in about 22 ft of water. I also caught a 4 ft gar lol. But i also caught one under a shade tree overhanging the water in about 2 ft. I think it was a male siting on the bed because it was a long and skinny guy. When i find them in shallower water they are usualy in a shady spot.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    During the day I stick with spinners and like you said, the 7-10" power worms fished in deeper water with cover. But I'll tell you, in the early morning or evening, topwater with frog pattern popr's is my go to presentation.

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    My name is Chris Sheafer and I am a ba@@aholic, Ive been clean and ba@@ free for 4 years.... except for a few that I caught with bluegill fishing for real fish.

After doing this a few times, I told a relivative who is a ba@@er...
    He now catchs ba@@ hogs constantly using bluegills under a bobber along the weed lines.

But if you want to be "free", you've got to listen to the catters on the BOC.

7. jtfoodguy

jtfoodguy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I find around here in Oklahoma the bass come up shallow to feed early and late in the day. They move to drop offs and points in deeper water during the day.

John

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My problem is... I don't have time to catfish during lunch. I only have half an hour and no good catfishing water really close. I can walk the small lake we have on base going for bass in half an hour, so I do that. It's a substitute for my catishing addiction.