Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
41 - 60 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
A C130 just passed over very close to the tree tops. They have always used this area for training and practice. During Afghanistan it was several times a week and always in 3s. They would pass over so close one could make out the pilot in the cockpit. A few years ago I purchased a wind tower that would have to sit about 20' above the tree canopy.
I called the Air Force Base in Missouri that they were based in and made it clear I was not complaining. Our boys need that "flying below the radar training" and this is a perfect place to do it. My concern was that if one of the planes wings contacted a guy wire it may bring it down. The nice lady assured me that they never fly below 100'. I supplied her with the GPS coordinates and thanked her for her time. Ever since they fly a little higher and to the east of the tower site. :)

·
Administrator
Chattanooga TN
764 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,616 Posts
Had to go to the big city today. Soda was on sale at a chain store. 99 cents a 6 pack limit 2. Ma got 2 as did I. Then we hit the other store 2 blocks outa way home and did it again. Going into the last store one saw a guy with 2 going out. At least I know not the only one does that.

Kinda warm out, 92. Storms tomorow night. Getting really dry here and river going down. You know it dry when you scrub car and pu down only to have a layer of dust on them in morn. The James tho, 50 miles west, is rising. It about 4 foot over flood northern part of state.

Kids did get me some stuff for papa day. One got me 30 bucks at bait shop. Another got me some shoes you can wear to when boating. The shoes have holes in them. Wonder what that would feel like in 50 degree water. Did not tell them will stick with my knee boots. They should work good tho in campground showers.

Looked up Red River levels. They down below flood now and upper 70s for temp. Missouri at Sioux City hitting 80s now. Running abit low tho. Mid 60s from Ft Randall, mid 70s from Gavins point. Need to get outa house.

Later

·
Registered
162 Posts
I liked the two Diawa Sealine 47H reels so much I bought off eBay recently I bought a 3rd one from the same seller after visiting with him about how nice the other two were. He's from Michigan and used them in the great lakes for Chinook Salmon a couple times a year so no saltwater corrosion and the first two were pristine. Going to replace my ol trusty Pflueger Rocket 1375 for now & run the 3 Diawa's...... Once I figure out how to tell the wife I need to buy 2 more rods 😬
Digital camera Camera lens Rectangle Point-and-shoot camera Font

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I sometimes think I am cursed. My wife bought a used Kawasaki 3010 Mule. It is old enough to still be carbureted and it was running rough and just seemed to be getting worse, so I promised her I would rebuild the carb and ordered a kit. It came in about a month ago and I just kind of put it off until today. Long story short everything went fine except the prior owner, or someone he hired attempted to make adjustments on the air/fuel needles. Well Kawasaki don't want folks making those adjustments so they plug the screws off and someone had tried to drill out the plugs one being successful the other too deep destroying the slot for the screwdriver. I wasn't sure what to do so I put a cutoff wheel in my Dremel and cut a slot through the castle surrounding the screw and into the screw head allowing a screwdriver to bite. Allowed me to remove, clean and replace.

Remove carb, 20 minutes.
Dissemble carb, 10 minutes
Clean mating surfaces for new gaskets, 15 minutes
Replace jets & float valve, 5 minutes
Figure out how to work around someone's goof up, 2.5 hrs.
Reinstall carb 10 minutes
What should have been an hour job turned into 3.5 hrs. but her Mule runs like a new one so she is happy. Guess we will head to the river camp tomorrow afternoon to see how hot we can actually get fishing.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,148 Posts
Years ago, I bought an 18" anaconda.
After 22 years, she was bloody huge.
Twenty seven feet, 785#.
Rather than release her in the wild, like so many people have done, I gave her to a guy who had a mess of other constrictor snakes.
I felt that he could/would take good care of her.

To get their reactions, I would tell people,"She likes to hug."
Last time she struck at me, she was maybe 8' long.
I loved her. But, when I passed her on to her new home, my son was maybe 3 years old. Just didn't want to risk any accidents.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,148 Posts
Just got the best meatloaf compliment from our daughter, who hates meatloaf. Maybe she's just hungry. Idk lol still got a small cough. Feeling good though otherwise. Man 104 is brutal, make sure ya stay cool! I watered the garden and it wasn't too bad, just regular hot I guess. 90s
Supposed to be down into the 80s Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
I'll wait til then. Since it's high 90s til then.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Checking in just been busy working ot , 6 days a week. Farm work Sundays.
Tbone was taken to processed Sunday hanging weight was 510 lbs get him back all nice and wrapped in smaller bits in 3 weeks.
Trapped 3 foxes that have decimated our free range herd of chickens.
Got 38 meat chickens for slaughter. In 2 weeks. Lost some to heat.
Ditch work is done.
Pond renovation is 1/2 done.
New head chute is in.
Taking the heifers to get AI Saturday morning then float trip with wife to relax a bit.
Garden is growing good ect.
Just been busy as all get out.
2:30 am days are getting old fast.

·
Super Moderator
25,047 Posts
Y'all might not have heard of Red Wolves, neither had I until this AM. But the Eastern part of North Carolina has some and it turns out, this is the only place in the world that has a pack.

"North Carolina is home to the only wild population of red wolves in the world. Historically the red wolf ranged across the entire Southeast, but today, the only place in the entire world that wild red wolves can be found is in eastern North Carolina’s Albemarle Peninsula. Even there, they number over a dozen known red wolves." Article is dated, see below.

Current population is 28 according to the Wildlife folks. One female just gave birth to six and they appear to be doing alright. There current location consists of low land and the back waters of the Albemarle Sound.

Bill in SD, that would be a trophy to catch and release, IJS.

Cooling off a tad in my parts >>> 74/90/69, some wind out of the ENE and partly cloudy.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Mac,
Almost 20 years ago, we had a farmstead that was within 1/2 of the Buffalo National River. There was always issues with wildlife. I had to buid an 8' electic fence around our garden to keep the deer and elk out.
Sweet Wife had a flock of poultry she was very protective of. Most had names. :)
Well I said all this to set up this event. About 2 or 3 am, she hears a ruckus in the barn and heads out with a pickaxe handle and a headlight. She rounds the corner of the barn and sees her prize gander being drug of by a large canid. She started hollering at it and it just turned and growled. Thankfully discretion won out and she didn't move. The critter headed off for the woods with her dear Goosey in it's jaws. This was a time when we didn't have any Pyrenees dogs on the place. The next day she gets on the internet and identifies it as a red wolf. She was adamant it wasn't a coyote, which sometimes have red coloration in this area.
Well, I might have written it off to imagination, but I remembered an article a few years before in the local paper explaining the G&F had released some red wolves on the park hoping to establish a breeding pack. There was pictures in the paper of them doing this.
So... she made some calls to US park service and G&F explaining what she saw and asking them to come trap this critter before it wipes out her flock. They all assured her that at no time had they released red wolves, it was a rumor like the story that they had released timber rattlers...ya da ya da..
I was working every night in those days and predictably that varmint killed every one of her geese and several chickens. To this day she knows what she saw and she is a woodswomen of some skill, I do not doubt her.
It actually wouldn't be too bad of an idea to have some wolves here. They don't allow dog hunting of deer anymore and the deer are infested with CWD, they need thinning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A buddy gave me an old ugly stik mh 6'6 casting rod a while back. She's seen some sun exposure and the clear coat was flaking so this morning I scrubbed it down with some steel wool and put a new coat or 6 of clear back on it. Reckon I'll put the wife's new Zebco 404 on it with some big game mono and she'll be in good shape
Plant Grass Groundcover Grassland Meadow

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Checking in just been busy working ot , 6 days a week. Farm work Sundays.
Tbone was taken to processed Sunday hanging weight was 510 lbs get him back all nice and wrapped in smaller bits in 3 weeks.
Trapped 3 foxes that have decimated our free range herd of chickens.
Got 38 meat chickens for slaughter. In 2 weeks. Lost some to heat.
Ditch work is done.
Pond renovation is 1/2 done.
New head chute is in.
Taking the heifers to get AI Saturday morning then float trip with wife to relax a bit.
Garden is growing good ect.
Just been busy as all get out.
2:30 am days are getting old fast.
We just got a beef back a couple weeks ago, I commented how much a frozen beef placed in the rear seat area of a Ram truck cools things off. I don't think I could ever get used to grocery store beef or pork.
I refuse to raise chickens, growing up we would butcher 90-100 in a single day, I was happier hoeing the garden than plucking chickens. The men and teen boys rung necks, the pre teen boys plucked and singed, the women and girls cut up, packaged and labeled. It was a family thing, my mom and two of her siblings with all their kids, one of the happiest days of my youth was when I got big enough to ring necks, meant a little less time plucking.
Our garden is not good this year which is disappointing as last years was one of the best we have raised, my daughters is looking good so when canning time comes there should be plenty for us as well.
Have had more trouble getting off the farm and to the River Camp this year than ever before, just seems there is always something needing done at home.
Hope things slow a bit for you and you can get some fishing in.

41 - 60 of 148 Posts