Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,139 Posts
I'm ready for the thread "Fall has Fell" (or something like that. ) 😀

The temperature showd to be 91° on the mirror in my Tahoe today.
There was a bit of a breeze at the lake, so it didn't feel that hot.
Lines wet a bit after noon. Came home at 2100.
Turned out, not a bad day for first day of Summer:
Six eater size channel cats (low side of eater size, about 1.5# each. Good looking little critters, still had freckles), 2 live bait size drums and 8 hand size (fingertips to wrist) green sunfish.

No pictures'cause my "sometimers" acted up today. Forgot my phone.
Anyhow, wasn't a bad day at the lake.

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a good thing I am retired. Yesterday I hand dug a 100ft. trench about 18" deep. Ran conduit, fished electrical wire through it, wired up a switched outlet for the wife to have power at her "plant patio" that used to be the floor of my dog kennel. It was all the labor I wanted for the day. This morning I decided I would beat the heat and back fill the trench between first light and sunrise, well I got her done but I am already spent maybe for the remainder of the day. If I were still employed I would likely get fired because there is no way I could give an honest eight hrs. labor. Going to take a little break, have some breakfast, give the wife the opportunity to tell me how much she appreciates the electricity to her "plant patio" then considering I have had the kit for about a month rebuild the carb on her Kawasaki Mule. If I ever win the lottery my shop will be air conditioned.

·
Super Moderator
25,038 Posts
Many moons ago another Rambler and I swapped tubers from our Day Lilies collection. Here is a beauty from one of the tubers he sent me.
Flower Plant Petal Botany Leaf

He got canned during the Mutt era

One of my Better Boy plants produced a ripe mater Sunday and one of the German Johnsons has one in the orange stage. which I don't believe I've seen before.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Mac,
Years ago my sweetie and I found day lillies growing in a deep forest that was a homestead over 100 years ago. They never bloomed due to the near total shade of the tree canopy. We dug a few tubers and planted in our garden in full sun and they have thrived ever since. They are the old fashioned variety with orange flowers and grow to almost five feet.
Their blooms thrill me every summer and get me thinking about the anonymous lady who prettied up her place all those years ago. :)

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They grow wild here also, at least I think what I see in the picture and what we have is the same thing. Used to be they came up in almost every road ditch that was wet most of the time. Farming practices have changed over time, herbicide and tillage right up to the ditch have kind of limited them to ditches along woods or pastures. They don't last long once picked, by the time I picked a handful and rode my bike a mile down the gravel road to our house the pretty flowers I picked for Mom were starting to wilt really bad, but she always commented how pretty and put them in a quart jar with water and said we would leave then on the porch until we were sure all the bugs got off. Nice way of telling a grade-schooler she didn't want to bring them in the house.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
On I-40 east of Jackson, TN, Law Rd exit #93 someone planted a lot of orange day lilies between the ramps and main road. From a distance you'll see a small orange spot and it grows as you get closer. The north side is brighter.

I did my Tuesday shopping then went to Porky's for my stuff. The canopy screens turned out to be solid panels. The food choppers couldn't be found.
At Kroger a lady was loading her cart with Coke and Pepsi half liter products while on the phone. She has the cart almost full of 6-pks and I point out the fine print on the shelf sticker. 4/$12 with additional purchase, less than 4 and more than 8 will be $5.49. She was hot by the time she put most back on the shelves.
Jason built a kayak trailer from an old boat trailer I had. No uprights at the rear-end and he finds it hard to back. I bought a few 2-section bike flags years ago for the kayaks. I got a pack over to him, let him decide how to mount. They won't be for travel, just backing. Japanese beetles have eaten all the grapes from his vines. He set up 2 traps Sunday that have about a 1" layer of bugs so far and the vines are loaded with them.
I'll fill the truck with gas and load the camper today. See if we can get to the campground early tomorrow.

95 feels like 102, NW 7 mph wind, 98 later.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts