Summer hunting beagles

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by opposum, Jul 29, 2008.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was wandering how many guys run their beagles during the summer? Also curious with what temp do you run? I don't like to run my dogs if it's hotter than 60. I know those little dogs can get over heated quick. I've tried summer hunting once and the dogs found a nest of little ones. Killed a couple before I could get them caught. Haven't summer hunted since.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Too likely to heat stroke a dog and ruin it. Also the snakes and crap ain't worth it to me.

3. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I run them on summer nights maybe an hour or hour and half.scenting conditions are better.Most the time just one or two dogs so I can keep them under a little control ,I can pull them off track if I need two and pet them up ,plus if you keep them in good shape by running them often their less likely to have problems with the heat. Not that I like pulling them off track, but sitting in a pen all summer is probably worse for them than pulling them off the track. I like to carry them out one at a time some in the summer and in the hot afternoons of course I stay close to them and make them hunt in some of the worst conditions as far as scenting is concerned. You dont want it to easy for them to jump rabbits all the time.They will get lazy and not hunt hard they will expect a easy jump in the best conditions. Becarefull if you have to many rabbits or a awesome spot can mess up a dog. I see a lot sitting at night and it would be a easy jump and run .It just depends on what you want or need for a certain dog. (Sorry man i'll quit talking here I got carried away )

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info. I've never considered running them at night. Unfortunately I lost my two best places to hunt this past year. I will be searching for knew spots in the near future. Once firearms deer season ends I will hunt my dogs 4 days a week to the end of season.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    back when i had beagles i ran mine early mornings and nites to.didnt want them running in the heat.had several get bit by snakes but a shot of dex fixed them rite up.

6. yadkinrivercats

yadkinrivercats Member

State:
    mocksville,n.c.
    I run my dogs at night or real early in the morning during the summer.

7. creekrunnerpca123

creekrunnerpca123 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I RUN MY BEAGLES EARLY IN THE MORNING,USALLY AFTER A GOOD RAIN THE NIGHT BEFORE,I ONLY RUN ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO. HAD SOME OF MY YOUNG DOGS GET SICK AND THROW UP WHEN I RAN THEM TO LONG THEY GET OVER HEATED QUICK,BUT THIS IS GEORGIA HUNTING VERY HUMID DOWN HERE.....