Summer/Hot Weather fishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dwreel, Aug 10, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Normally I don't fish during the summer heat, but gonna change that. Night fishing or early morning is my plan. A few questions if you don't mind.

1. Bottom fishing or under a bobber? Which should I try most?

2. Cut bait or stink/punch types bait ? Or maybe worms ?

Is it really a " try everything you've got" until you find out what works and stick with that for the day ?

I appreciate any and all replies, guys.

thanks,
    dick/dwreel.

2. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    dwreel, I'm not an expert like a lot of these guys are..when I fish at night I do so a little different than I do during the day..first, if you are trying to catch large fish then live bait such as shad, breem, or minnows are great. Cut shad or breem is also good. I normally fish on the bottom with a float about 8" from my hook with enough slack to let the bait rise at least a foot off the bottom. When I fish the river at night I try to find a place that is near to deep water, near current and is between 3 to 6 feet deep. I then fan out my rods to cover as much area as I can. Towards the bank, in the shallows, near the deep area, and out towards the current.. When I get a couple hits or fish in one area or another then I double up my rods in that area. Stink or punch baits work really well, in my experience, with smaller cats then live/cut bait. You will have a better chance catching a catfish with this type bait too then with worms..worms seem to catch anything and everything. One other thing I would mention is that I have found to leave your bait in the water for hours on end is not a good idea..if I have not had a bite in 45 minutes to an hour when I'm fishing at night I change the bait, unless it is live bait,..you never know if your bait is gone or cover by debre. Hope something here helps.

3. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Dwreel, I'm no expert either but I think Dave hit on all the important stuff...

a couple things I will throw in is when I start fishing I have one rod set up on the three way rig with a float as Dave stated and one on the Carolina rig and let the fish decide how they want it and then set up the rest of the rods accordingly....

I love fishing with eels especially at night....they make great cut bait or of course live bait....you can catch several cats on 1 2" piece of eel.

I believe the NC state record flattie was caught on eel.

bugs: you will encounter allot more creepy crawly things at night so have plenty of repellent..

Get you some chem lights for your rod tips (catfish connection) so you will be able to see your rod tip...

good luck!!!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

dwreel I fish Jordan a lot and a main stay for me there is large minnows and shad. I have had good luck with DK's punch bait also. I also like to take some red worms are night crawlers and catch bream for bait. I do pretty well at Jordan though no mansters it has been consistant for me. good luck Hope to see you on the water.

Sorry bobbers and carolina rigs work as well and at the same time.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well in the summer (fishing in a lake) the ONLY way I can even get a bite from a good fish seems to be with a slip bobber. Morning time is my favorite in the summer, but the biggest ones always seem to come at night. I like Live Bream and things like that in the summer.

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all the information. Last time at Jordan ,Tues. just before dark, I noticed a couple schools of bait fish,about 1" long each, swimming on the surface. Do they do this because something is chasing them up? I haven't thought about live bait for blues.

The term "fishing under a slip bobber" has me a little confused. Is this useing the bobber as a strike indicator with the bait on the bottom? Or is the slip knot set to hold the bait at the desired depth?

Thanks again guys. Dick.

7. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    A slip bobber is one that can move freely up and down your main line. You tie a small thread (first one is included with the slip bobber) on your line at the depth you want to target. So if the fish you mark are at 20 ft., tie that thread 20 ft. up your line. Between your bobber and the thread is a small bead (also, first one included) that will contact the knot and then act as a bobber stop. If/when you lose or remove that small piece of thread, you can just tie a piece of rubberband around your line and clip of the ends so you have nothing but knot left on the line. The nice thing about this rig is that you can slide the knot up and down the main line with your hand to change depths easily. Walmart has a good sized one for a couple dollars that is weighted on one end to help it stay vertical. Hope this helps.

John

8. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    thanks jf. Thats about what I thought. I've learned a lot here on the BOC from the members. In the past, I've had to learn so many things by trial and error, over the years I've had doubts as to am I really doing it right. Thankfully, those days are all behind me now thanks to the BOC members.

Much appreciated guys.

dick/dwreel.

9. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/page6-1.html

Dick this site shows how to tie a float stop knot that works well for me. Also I use half a uni-knot at times. Both work about the same. Trimed close it will pass thur your rod guides and is easy to slide up and down your line. I usually use a diffrent color line for the knot so its easy for me to see. Still remember I promised you a trip one of these days.

10. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thanks for the link, Lynn. And yes, I'm still looking forward to hooking up with you sometime soon. The temps today are looking real good. Sure hope it's a sign of lower temps coming.