Summer Heat

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Kansas Beef, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Kansas Beef

Kansas Beef New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Now that the heat index is over 100 during the day would it be smart to move to the deeper parts of the lakes to fish, or are they coming up into the shallows at night to feed.

Thanks

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Welcome to the BOC Justin. I wish I knew, but it seems like there are so many variables you just have to go and try. In my area we've had a lot of rain so the water is cool but its going to warm up quickly. Good luck.

3. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    dont really know the answer, but when its this hot i like to fish at night to escape the heat

4. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Based upon my experience , once in a blue moon you will get a bite in the midday heat. For the other 99.9999.......% of the time , I'd fish deep or either dusk into night or dawn up until about 9:30 to 10:00.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Night time for me here on out!! Welcome to the BOC.

6. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    Im with you all the way on that. To hot during the day.:big_smile: Welcome to the BOC Justin.

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Its night time and winter fishing for me.Don't much care if the fish are biting during the day its just to hot sometimes to deal with.

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I will be going night fishing till it cools off. Thats my favorite type of fishing anyways.

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    AJ, you are missing out on some of the best catfishing to be had. 75% of my best catfish came after midnight. :wink:

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    And 100% of my best sleep comes after midnight:smile2::smile2:

11. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    I get my best bites after midnite also. I sleep in the boat, my partner usually wakes me up, lol. Welcome to the club

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Partly from what I have experienced and mostly from what I have heard
    there are two distinct feeding periods during the night: from about 10pm
    to 1pm then another one from about 4am to 7am. The more pressure there
    is on a particular fishing spot, the more likely it is that the big cats get
    active in that pre-dawn period. Put some big live bait on and drink coffee.
    Lots of it. Slap yourself every once in a while just to be sure.

I caught my PB flathead around 5am one mid-September morning 22years ago in the Big Blue just below Tuttle Creek outlet. I didn't have a camera. Admired him for a while by flashlight and just couldn't see killin' him. Or her, most likely.Hung her out in the current until she sparked up a bit and took off back into the deep. The tail looked like a damn broom and splashed me hard. Felt stupid and glad at the same time. Kept three eaters, a 7 and a 10lber and called it good. Nice fish fry later on, but driving home was an adventure. Could barely keep my eyes open and swore that fish must have torn something in my left shoulder near the spine. Good fight!

13. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    fish deep in the day and shallow at night.

14. Dead Red Rick

Dead Red Rick New Member

State:
    Kansas
    welcome to the BOC Justin

15. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    welcome 2 BOC. are baitfish deep or shallow? fish there, deep water has less o2 than shallow, good luck.