Summer deer pictures

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by samh, Jun 20, 2006.

1. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Great pictures. The feeders look like they are different styles. If so which one works the best? Looks like you will have some great bucks to hunt this fall.

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    They are all 4 inch PVC pipe, but the best one with the least amount of waste is the one in the last set of pictures, its hanging so it swings when the coons get on it, the bottom part is a street L 90 on the pipe and then a street 45 on last.. They need to be street L's so the feed will feed out to where they can reach it if you use regular 90's its too long and the deer can't reach the feed, also bore a couple of small holes in the very lowest point sso water will drain.. The other two get a lot more feed raked out on to the ground, its not that much of a problem unless its raining, if it's dry they'll clean it up off the ground pretty well. They will usually empty the feeder over night, but if I fill them everyother day they clean up just about all that's on the ground. The hanging feeder can be longer as you can let it down and lean it over to fill it, the solid mounted ones have to be shorter so you can reach the top to fill, the first 2 are about 4 to 4 1/2 feet long and hold about 20 lbs of feer the hanging one is about 6 feet long and will hold 30 or so.

3. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats kool sam, thanks for sharing. that coon gets right in with the deer.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Makes me want to start practicing again with the bow.:big_smile: Those deer look to have some nice racks by the time fall comes around.

5. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    How high off the ground do you have the bottom of the hanging feeder? Also how much feed does the pipe hold? Thanks

6. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    When youfirst put it up I like to put it about knee high, makes it easy for them to get started eat'n out of it, then I like to raise it up to where its just high enough that a coon can't eat out of while standing on the ground, You can't keep the coons out of it, but you don't hve to make it easy, seems like when the coons have to climb up and sit on the swings feeder to eat, they don't dig out as much on the ground, when they have to work for it they don't was much.

A 4 inch pipe, 4 ft long holds about 20 lbs so they hold about 5 lbs a foot, I've been think'n about making some out of 6 or 8 inch pipe and necking them down to 4 inch on the bottom,I think 4 inch is big enough for the fittings for them to eat out of, any bigger and I think more will get wasted, not to mention fittings over 4 inch cost a lot more. these would hold quite a bit more feed. Also when you swing them you can make them longer and still fill them OK.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great pics, thanks for sharing. So very cool pics there.

8. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    great pictures those are some nice deer

9. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Nice pics and great idea on the feeders. Ill make one. Thanks......

10. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    great pics! you have some nice deer there.

11. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Thanks for sharing the pictures and the feeder info. We cant hunt over bait here but I think I could use those for some other things like the fixed ones for squrriel and racoon in the back yard. I think all the BOC needs to go to ark. and hunt those good looking bucks this year.
    Stephen

12. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    One of the great things about having the feeders and the trail cameras is seeing how many deer are really around, I've never talked to anyone who put out a trail camera that wasn't shocked at how many more deer are around than they thought. Also, here you can hunt over bait, although the bucks seem to go nocturnal about the time they shed their velvet, but putting a good box stand close to a feeder in the edge of an old field is a great place to take kids, they get to see so much more game that way, between the coons, squirrels, birds, deer and other critters, it makes it a lot more interesting for the young folks ( and old) to sit still.

13. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great pictures! Can't wait til October, myself! And that raccoon must either think he's one of the deer, or he's their official mascot!! Keep us updated on those feeders. Those are some good looking deer. Thanks for that!

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Awesome pics!! I used to have a trail cam until some #&&$$##$^&**^% stole it!! I know it was one of the PGC's field & brush crew since the saplings I had it straped to were all cut down and neatly stacked 2 days after I hung it. I even had my name address and phone # in permanent marker written on the face of the stealth camera. Now I'd like to get a new one but am afraid I'll lose that one too.

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    how can you have all bucks ? do you require the does to eat elsewhere ?

good looking deer, they look healthy.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sam,
    Is it legal to hunt around where you have those feeders? Around here you can only feed on private property but you better not get caught hunting near them.

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    good pics how long have you been feeding them ? do you feed them cracked corn or a mix ? do you use deer cocain or mineral powders? and do you cull out the ones you kill ? assuming you kill

18. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Been feeding about a year now, feed them a mix that we buy bulk to feed our cattle it runs 16% protien and has corn meal, corn gluten,soybean hulls, cottenseed meal and dairy mineral mix in it,the deer eat it better than they do straight corn. Since we went to feeding the mixed feed the seldom hit the mineral powder we have had out, the feed has a real good dairy mineral in it, if its good enough for a dairy cow giving 100 lbs of milk a day its probably good enough for a deer. Yes we kill and eat, can only take a doe in our zone with a permit if you draw one, can take two bucks but they have to have at last 3 points on one side ( state wide law), we are a little stricker than the law on ourselves, we take several kids hunting each year, they pretty much get to take what evers legal ( kids under 16 get to hunt one weekend earjy and can shoot any horned buck that weekend.) Most of the rest of the folks that hunt this land won't shoot anything less than what we consider a wall hanger, no hard fast rule, we don't have a huge place (about 800 acres) but its not in one block, its broken up into 4 different places so we get some help with the culling. Have got to where the camera thing is about as much fun as hunting, seeing who's there and how they're doing.

19. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    You can only feed here on private land too, this is on my and my brothers land (we're the the 5th generation on it, my grandkids will be the 7th).

Yes you can hunt over feeders here, but like I said above, about the time the bucks shed their velvet and break up their bachelor groups they just about go nocturnal, last year we were getting lots of pic all summer, day and night, til about mid Aug. from then til the end of Feb. I didn't get a single picture in of a buck bigger than a fork horn during the day light. For hunting the good bucks all it does is keep them in the area ( and the does in the area so the bucks will be around during the rut). The cameras will keep you on the stand better though since you do know there's really good deer around.