Summer crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by bigcatwannabe, Jun 10, 2006.

1. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i was cast netting shad for bait the other day and was getting real nice crappie in the cast net too, i was just wondering if anyone has done any crappie fishing this late

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes they bite every day 365 per year. Well every 4 years its 366.. LOL
    The hotter it gets, The deeper the crappie move.
    Even in August I catch them 15ft deep in 3o ft of water. They love deep water that way they can just suspend and be at the right depth.
    Guessing you were catching these in the cast net in 6 to 8 ft of water now?
    Also the crappie will be in about the same water in hot weather as they will in Winter.
    I'm in no way a Crappie fisherman yet. but learning and will try anything 3 times.
    Pete

3. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    yeah, i was catching them about 6 foot late in the evening in 15 ft of water, they must have been schooling those smaller shad

4. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i do alot of crappie fishing in the spring, before, during, and after spawn. i do need to start fishing them in the early fall, when i'am after those big redear and gills.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They like to supped in open water this time of year. But will be over a treetop or point.
    And they can move up and down. and still be with the bait.
    Pete

6. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    I have been trying to learn crankbait trolling for this time of year as I too have been told they suspend after it gets hot and man is it hot and dry in MS. Don't know a lot about it yet but trying to learn, love to try new ways to catch them. Been trolling 200 and 300 series Bandits and some RR heads with 3" twister tails. Having most luck on the cranks. For sure it works best when there is some wind blowing. Caught 21 the first time I tried it and the wind was blowing about 5/8 mph. The next time I caught 15 with a light chop on the water and the last 2 times I went there was very little wind and I caught 9 and 3. The time I caught 3 I quit trolling and went to jigpoling and caught 9 more, they hit very lite and some would just touch the jig and I don't believe they were trying to bite it. Lots to learn yet, tomorrow is said to have some wind.

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Can you catch crappies when its hot by fishing small minnows with a weight on the bottom in the middle of lakes? Should you slow troll them or what? Thanks.

8. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    We went out this weekend to Enid lake in north MS. Started out fishing 12 foot in 18 to 23 foot of water. Had better luck fishing 16 foot. We did better in Bean creek than on the main lake. Most were in the 10 to 11 inch range, had a few that went over 12 inches. Caught 12 both days. Lots of throw backs. Fished a lot of jigs, all colors but tails are chartreuse. Watches schools of baitfish off shore in the evening being hit by white bass, I suppose.
    Some others were fishing minnows, some crankbaits, not doing any better.

9. catdog

catdog New Member

State:
    tennessee
    was thinking trying the night bite since i have had no luck with trolling

10. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Currently catching them in 6-7 foot of water. Water temp is 80 degrees where we fish. Double jigging with Crappie Magnets is the key right now to consistantly catching them. Red/chartreuse and chartreuse/white. Multiple double hooks is common, too. Getting hungry thinking about it. LOL!!!!! God bless.

11. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Update!!! Crappie are 6-14 foot in water that is 9-26 foot deep. Water Temperature being 80-82 degrees. God bless.

12. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    This last weekend we were catching them 8'-16' over 40' around bluffs, large trees and bridge piers on minnows and jigs.:big_smile:

13. skiptomylu

skiptomylu New Member

Sometimes they will end up shallow chasing shad and that is probably how you were catching them. Most of the time though when it get hot like others have said the get in water depth of 20'-35' and suspend so you catch them fishing 12'-25' deep depending. Most of the time I catch them 12'-18' deep in the Summer.

14. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    no i have never caught a crappie in a cast net.:0a24: