Summer Blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bigredcatfish, Jul 3, 2008.

1. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I need your all help!! I fish a lake that holds a lot of blues. The blues are anywhere from 7 to 30 pounds. During the spring, it is easy to go out and catch 5 to 15 blues in a evening. Once the water gets to the temp. of upper 70's to lower 80's they leave the shallows and go some where. I have fished this lake for the last five years and seem to not be able to locate them in the summer. I tried to go deep, drifting and sitting but no luck. Not even one blue is caught during the summer. Please help!!!

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Some of the blues there could still be spawning, which makes fishin' difficult. I might try the river or major tributary of the lake and try to find a little current to fish in.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There is just not too much you can do about the summer time blues:smile2:. When its hot they are very hard to catch. You practically have to hit them in the head with your bait.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    right now we are fishing 4' of water and catching them on cut carp fillets. fishing in the middle of the day to early evening. temp has been up to 100 degrees. another lake i fish at is pretty much what you are describing, and very similar in appearance to the one i am catching them at. deepest water is 18' due to the drought, and nothing produces blues there except for during sring and winter. they have to be eating, just haven't been able to catch them in the act. summertime blues can be a pain in the a$$ for sure! i don't know what variable is making two similar bodies of water so different, but the fish sure do.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have had the same problem and really this is the first summer I have fished for blues. I can't figure it out even the channels have been 1 every 5 trips. I just don't get it. I know the blues are known for being hard to catch in the summer but usually I am catching big channels right along side of the blues in the winter. I have tried every area a man can try. Anyone have any advice I will take it.

6. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    try your rivers up far as possible in the dam waters, mostly up as far as you can go, the cooler running waters, and like the first guy they're still up river in spawn, in the deepest furthest up river holes as possible

7. davidp

davidp New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well we have been catching good numbers of eaters, but anything over 12-15 pounds is difficult to catch this time of year.

The last couple of weeks we have been fishing 1 to 2 foot of water. 1 to 4 foot of water should work well. When you are in 1 foot of water you can site fish them rascals cuz you can see the furrows they make swimming in the water.

We have had the best luck on whole 3 inch shad. Cut bait or shad fillets have not performed well. And, this is lake fishin not in a river.

Last week we were so shallow we had to completely raise the motor and pole in to our spot. These fish will be spawning in weeds or green shrubs or heavy timber. Be prepared to re-rig! You could actually see the hi fins on them big blues as they swam thru the water. They jus wouldn't bite!

It is important to get your baits on the shady side of the weeds, timber or shrubs. They like it better than the sunny sides.

8. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Been having the same problem this summer. Hopefully it will change though.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    70-80* temps is definitely spawning time imo. BUT, if you aren't catching them during the summer at all, it could be because they are suspended in the water column due to the thermocline. The fish will be in the coolest, most oxygenated water. Sun heats water at the surface. Warm water is heavier than cold water, and sinks. Cool water floats on the warm water in striations within the water column. The solution is to use suspended bait at different depths until you zero in on where they are with a slip float. If you have a boat and sonar, you can see where the fish are hanging. If not, trial and error.

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Couldn't have said it better..But still I worked the slip bobber yesterday and had little success..I do think that in some areas around here they are still spawning..Also the pressure was rising and I usually do better when the pressure is falling..The water temp was 76 degrees..It was raining when we put in and most of the fish we caught right off the bat..Once the sun came out and it started to heat up they shut off like a light switch..I broke the monotony by throwing a jig and catching a few largemouth and bream..I thought that after the sun set they would turn back on but we fished till 10pm without another bite.

11. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I would try the river also.I was on the Brazos river and the blue were biting like perch.Also try fishing above the thermocline.Hope this helps and I hope you catch a bunch of big ones.

12. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Find the bait fish, catch blues. They will suspend, they will go deep they will find current. They always stay close to food, mussels shad, what ever is there. Find the bait, catch the fish.
    keep them lines wet

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I fish a tidal river, and I know lakes are different. The poster who mentioned the thermocline is spot-on as I know that has a major effect on summer time blues in lakes.

Some others have also touched on going shallow. I couldn't agree more. Summer time fishing here is alot slower than winter/spring, however, in the few trips I did last summer, we had great results fishing a 6' deep creek mouth adjacent to one of the deepest holes in the river. We were amazed at the number of big fish coming up there to feed from after mid-night until dawn.

Good luck