Summer And Winter-use Different Baits Or Not??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by upncomincatfishking, Sep 19, 2006.

1. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    I Have A Question For Everyone Does It Matter Season Wise What Bait Should Be Used?me And A Buddy Of Mine Where Talkin About This In Our Fishin Trip Friday Night.i Was Just Wondering What Some Seasoned Pro's Got To Say On This.

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Seems to me that the good baits, cut bait, worms and livers work year round.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It has been my experience to try a few different baits no matter what time of year it is. At the lake that I usually fish, shad is usually the bait of choice. However one summer me and a friend were fishing at the indian creek portion of mark twain lake right before a storm, I gave him some shad, while I was fishing with chicken liver. I caught a whole striger of catfish, while he caught 3 or 4 turtles. Don't know why but that's what happened. I always take live perch, shad, worms,and maybe livers and just experiment to find out what is working that day. Most baits work best when fresh. I have heard that goldfish work especially well for flathead in the spring, but that hasn't been my experience. Hope that helps.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Shad seems to work well in the winter because many lakes are affected by a winter shad kill from low water temps and the dead fish are abundant and fed upon heavily.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I tend to use the same baits year round but may change the size are how I rig them during the colder months.

6. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I use the food that the catfish are eating naturally. In the spring, dead frozen shad. In the summer, live bluegill and shad. In the fall, pretty much everything works. In the winter, I go hunting.:big_smile:

7. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Pretty well says it except in winter I go icefishing.

8. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I use cut bait year round. Cats eat shad year round.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    For colder weather blue cats I would recommend using cut bait, and downsizing it compared to summer. Sometimes it seems like they just won't hit anything big, but a 1-1.5" chunk of shad will entice them. (Credit goes to Catfishcentral for that tip, which has helped me out a lot) I just don't have much luck fishing live baits when the water temps get below about 55 degrees, and I've spent a lot of time on the river bank freezing my toes off figuring this out. It may be different in your waters, though, so don't completely write off live bait, but definitely get some cut bait out there.

10. snowman

snowman New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If the Catfish act anything like bass then it will make a differance what lures you throw in winter and and summer. During winter I could go with something that smells a lot worse and summer something that looks more lively.

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've found that in the cooler waters of the fall they are (CHANNELS) less picky. It must be the colder water temps that tell them to fatten up cause the meals are gonna become fewer and further apart.

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I tend to use the same baits all year round.

13. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I've found Mullet works really well during the winter.It puts of a funny smelling oil.