Summary of my 2017 season

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by nlcatfish, Nov 30, 2017.

1. nlcatfish

nlcatfish Active Member

State:
    Dayton, Ky.
    Name:
    putfirst name
    This was not a great year for catfishing on the river. This Spring time I had many things going on, I really did not get on the Ohio River till late June. I tried a number of new spots with not much in the way of hooking fish. My grandson was helping me with boat this year and did better than me when we were together.

I did get to a pond with a friend and caught 3 nice channel cats there. I am really eager to get back to that pond next year.

My brother hired a guide for a trip and it was a fun day. My brother caught 5 catfish I boated 10. That was the most catfish we have caught on one trip in years.

I had high hopes for more action in the Fall but it did not happen. Out in the boat on several trips I was skunked or just 1 or 2 cats the other times . My biggest cat of the year was 27 inch channel cat of 12 pounds , that was from the bank fishing with my brother.

Next year I am going to be taking my boat out to A.J Jolly Lake when the river is messed up. I have seen photos of the blue cats from there so will give it a try. It was great to spend time with my grandson in the boat looking forward to many more trips next season. I wish everyone lots of tight lines whenever you wet a line.

Abu65, crcanter and Catpaw like this.
  2. Abu65

Abu65 Active Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing.

Catpaw likes this.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    We're heading towards the new year Norb.... Let's have a positive outlook on the upcoming fishing season.... Fish On

nlcatfish likes this.
  4. nlcatfish

nlcatfish Active Member

State:
    Dayton, Ky.
    Name:
    putfirst name
    I intend to fish a county lake that has some good size blues& flatheads next season. So I should get more catfish action there with my boat. I will be going there whenever the river is messed up. Tight lines Norb

5. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    I fish the Ohio down river from you below Shawneetown, IL. and I too found this year to be slow compared to years past. While we (wife and I) put some 15 to 20 lb. blues and 1 to 10 lb. channels in the boat the numbers were down. Farmers, Chicago Cubs fans, and fishermen likely say "just wait until next year" more than the rest of society combined LOL.

Abu65 likes this.