Sumiton - Where to Fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by Backwater, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Found out today we are visiting some (wife's) friends in Sumiton for the 4th. They've always come to our place before, I've never been there. They don't fish and don't have any suggestions. 4 days is a long time to sit around drinking beer and shooting fireworks. I'd like to sneak off somewhere close and wet a line for a few hours. Not worried about catching too much, just easy bank access and maybe some shade. Can any 'Bama Brothers help me out?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    hey Jeff if you look on the member map there are some local members in the Birmingham Area that might can give you a better idea on where to go and places to fish. i live in south alabama so i wouldnt know but that is the only advice i can hlp youwith unless you just do a search on google of the area you are going to of lakes in the local area.

3. Sumiton is just up the road apiece from me. If you got a boat your welcome to launch here. Your welcome to fish from the bank if I'm home. It's a small subdivision so the neighbor's would ask questions otherwise. Problem with bank fishing though is this slough is shallow and is not a good spot for cats. Plus this week end will have the slough rocking from idiots on jetskis.
    The river is not far from sumiton either there is a launch right off 78 to the west of sumiton. Other places not far from sumiton are just off 269. Take 269 towards B'ham. I don't know about the copeland's ferry bridge (walker county), I think most of that is private so there may be a launch but no bank fishing. At the Powhaten bridge (in Jefferson county) there is a launch and you can bank fish. Just a short piece (1.5 mi) from there at Birmingport you can fish from the bank. Go past the port and look to the right (river) and look for a spot to cross the tracks. There are many places to fish, though on the weekends they may fill up. Go just past the port and cross the Short creek bridge and pull off to the left as you start up the hill and you can get to Short creek by walking down the slope from the road. A little past this at the next crossroad is Birmingport grocery on the right where you can get bait.
    There's also a launch at the west jefferson steam plant and you can bank fish there as well.
    PM me if I can be of help. I'll give my number if you need it.

4. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Had a blast, Great folks and hospitality. Just so happens our host had just bought 40 acres and Warrior river borders it. Took a dozen 3" bluegills and some nightcrawlers. Took a machete to get to the bank. After nearly passing out from heat stroke, I started fishing. Took two rods, could only use one. Caught channels and bullheads (I think they were brown ones) at least thats what we call them in TN. I also caught what look to be white cats. Looked like what I've caught in KY lake and thats what everyone called them. All my bait was gone in less than hour and a half. I saw very few folks racing up and down the river and no sign that anyone had been around the bank before. Released all because I had one heck of a climb back up to the road/trail. My buddy's father in law promised me a trip to the steam plant on next visit. Thanks for all the info. Jeff

5. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    proud you had a great time Jeff, if you go adn check out the gaterings thread i am trying to get a gathering together for the middle of July next year. maybe yo can come down then adn join us.

6. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    It's amazing to think that the river wasnt rockin and rollin from jetskis on the 4th! I used to stomp aorund that area a lot and any weekend of the summer, especially on holidays, the place was a madhouse. Caught a lot of nice cats in the warrior over the years. The first bend up river from Copeland's Ferry bridge gave up a few nice channels one night a few years back. Anyhow... nice to see some people on the BOC from God's country. The Warrior will always be my home river no matter where I live. good fishin