suitable boat ramps at Lake Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by turkeyman, Feb 29, 2008.

1. turkeyman

turkeyman New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Swansea
    Wondering if anybody knows where I can put in. I am going to try to go Saturday. Also, wondering if it would be better to try the lower lake or around I-95. I saw the video of the upper lake last night, and I don't think that is an option. I usually fish elliot's flats, never seen it like that

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ian the lake is rising some days faster than others. If you are wanting to stay around I95 the state park ramps are proably your best option and in the lower lake you can put in at canal lakes (between the 2 lakes) or at the lower end at the naval short stay( you may want to call to make sure they are still allowing the public to put in). There are plenty of other boat ramps open on marion and different ones will be popping open left and right with this new rising water. Good luck and send us a good report.

Oh yeah and WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. turkeyman

turkeyman New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Swansea
    Thanks, I really appreciate the information. I was worried about making the hour drive and then not being able to find a place to put in.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Ian and good luck at Santee.

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC Turkeyman. Good luck on Marion.

6. turkeyman

turkeyman New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Swansea
    Thanks Guys:big_smile:

7. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Fished above I95 today and the fish are there. We put in at the lower ramp in the state park. Caught nine fish between 8 and 22 lbs from 7am (cold!!!) to around noon. All fish were caught in less than 6 feet of water on butterflyed herring and bream. Be careful when your not in the channel.

8. turkeyman

turkeyman New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Swansea
    Just wondering, what is the water depth on average from the ramp to the river channel. Also, from what you saw today do you think it is worth trying to get into the flooded timber straight out from the state park. We have fished there in the past and had good luck, but for all I know it could be dirt now. Thanks.

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    thanks for the report Foxhound

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Foxhound can you buy bait over by the State Park or did you bring some with you?

11. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    James
    There are a couple of stores right there in Santee that carry live herring. I get mine from Santee General store right beside Macdonalds. Im gonna be heading back that way next Friday through Sunday and hope to spank em. Momma got me putting up a fence today.........talk about a pretty missed fish day.....killing me

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If I decide to make it up that way I will let you know. I will be taking a couple of my tournament sponsors fishing somewhere on friday. I kinda hope I can talk them into going back to the coast.

13. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Attached is picture of Short Stay Ramp today 03/04/08. It's a little flat by myself I have wade to get pontoon back on trailer and get to my truck. Other than that works fine.

Attached Files: