sugggestions on reel selection

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by brinley45cal, Sep 21, 2005.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i need some sugestions on a good reel.It needs to hold at least 20lb line or larger and something that will go nicley with a 9 to 12 foot rod.Mybe an Abu?Im not real familar with that type of reel so try to be specific.It would be my first reel of that type but would really like to have that type.All suggestions welcome.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Are you looking for a bait caster or a spinning reel?

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I just got into baitcasters, bought an Abu 6600CB back in June and liked it so much I got it's twin brother about a month later. I think they were around $70 at Cabela's. I've been fishing just about all weekend every weekend and a couple of days during the week since I got them and haven't had any trouble yet with them. Not nearly as aggravating as a spincast and I caught my first 25lb fish the other day and it reeled him like a champ. Most of the other guys on the site know a lot more about them than me and can probably suggest better reels, but after using these two reels, I'll probably never buy another spincast reel. Hope that helps,

Branden

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    im thinking about going with a bait cast but all ive ever used has been spin cast reels.I hear the bait casting ones a real nice so id like to try one of those.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    They are pretty easy, really. I actually read the instructions on how to set the brake and followed them and it wasn't too bad. Took a couple of trips to get where I could cast them for distance, but at least I didn't birdnest them. All I had ever used before was spincast, so it was weird getting used to them, but didn't take long. Probably the hardest part for me was getting them to go right where I wanted them. Still can't just do those little one-handed flips under overhanging trees, but that's because of the rods I use as well.

6. CatfishWEIRDO

CatfishWEIRDO New Member

State:
    Madison WI
    9` to 12` I would go with a ABU 7000 you can find them at Catfish Connection.
    :0a26:

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    The best of the bigger\large capacity reels for people to start out with are the Abu Garcia line. I personally like the 6500's if you dont honestally expect to land fish in the 30lbs+ range consistanly. A significant portion of the surf fishermen use 6500's and land Drum and Stripers in the 20lb-30lb range on a consistant basis with no trouble. The 7000 series is also a great reel, and it will hold over 200yds of 30# line.
    The nice thing about the Abu's is the cast control that you can tighten down far enough to make learning real easy. They are also just over all excellent reels, strong, reliable and witha little modification can be some of the furthest casting reels on the market.

Another option would be the soon to be discontinued Penn Squidder 140L which will hold a massive 350yds of 20#, its also an old reliable that will last you the rest of your life and is often used by surfasters on rods from 8'-14'. It's a little more tricky to learn to cast since it dosent have training wheels (the cast control ) but if you learn to cast that reel you'll be able to cast any reel with the best of them.
    If your a D.I.Y kind of guy you can add a mag kit to the 140 and it will cast with the best of them.

Both of these reels are probably the best value under $100 on the market, and you cant go wrong with either one.