Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Suggestions wanted.... Optics

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  emgee00 
#1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I went out for the extra 2 days of deer gun season in Ohio. It was a perfect day. While cold, it's was easy to deal with, and there was very little wind when I hit the woods at 7am.

I use an H&R Ultra Slug 12ga. with a Bushnell Banner shotgun scope. Great set-up, accurate, and has great range. Well, at about 8am that morning I spotted some deer in the distance coming through the woods. I counted 3. As they get closer I realized that were actually at least 6, and 1 was definitely a buck. When within close range, they has still not stopped, but were just walking. I was about 15ft high on the edge of a ridge. The buck was leading and as I was getting set to take aim I noticed another buck, but he was a little pencil rack 6pt. The lead buck walked right to the bottom of the hill I was on and then got a running start and shot to the edge of the ridge...right where I was...10ft to my left. I began to turn and take aim but he knew something was up and ran back down and stopped on a path I was overlooking. I was then able to take a good aim and dropped him....a really nice 10pt.

The other deer scattered and I was surprised to find that there was yet another buck in the group. He ran up the hill like the first one did, and stopped as well, just 15ft to my left. 1 tag, 1 buck....I got to watch him take off and disappear. He was a nice 8pt himself.

Sorry about the long story, but here is the problem I want some insight on: Because that buck would not stop moving, and the fact that I have a scope on the gun, it was almost impossible to take a reasonable shot until he stopped, and even then it wasn't easy to locate when you think he's going to run. I have decided that I need to switch to a red dot, but have no idea what might be my best option.

I only want to spend around $100-$150. I went to some online dealers to check them out and read some reviews, but they are so up and down I can't tell if any of them are worth the risk. Many are said to not hold zero, others are difficult to see in different light conditions, and others were just listed as cheap and crappy.

I hope you folks have had better luck with yours and can pass those options along.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I would put a Leupold VXI variable scope in 2-7X power. Leave it on Low power setting and you will see just fine. I have shot running deer with it.

I had a 1.75-5X but wanted one with a little more magnification. I am sure some will tell you about a great red dot but for me I don't care for them. The Leupolds come with a lifetime guarantee should you ever have a problem.

Since the season is over, you have almost 10 months to find a good deal on a Leupold on Craigs List or Ebay. Good luck

#3 ·
I wish you luck choosing one , never used one , I use a Tasco World Class 3x9x40 on my 243 and while I rarely take running shots ,it doesnt seem to be an issue at the lower setting.

#4 ·
I would suggest instead of a red dot, going with a lower power scope. Get something in the 1.5-4 or 1.75-4 range. If you're hunting woods, you probably dont need much more than 4 power anyways. A scope will also give you the light gathering that a red dot wont, which will be nice for those first light and last light shots. I have a bushnell 3-9 x30 on my shotgun, and had a couple times this year where i wished i had a lower magnification.

#5 ·
I would suggest instead of a red dot, going with a lower power scope. Get something in the 1.5-4 or 1.75-4 range. If you're hunting woods, you probably dont need much more than 4 power anyways. A scope will also give you the light gathering that a red dot wont, which will be nice for those first light and last light shots. I have a bushnell 3-9 x30 on my shotgun, and had a couple times this year where i wished i had a lower magnification.
I agree with the lower power scope. I have a 1.75x4 and its great for running shots, the entire deer is in the field of view, plus a lot ground around so you know where they are going when still looking through the scope.

#6 ·
Oddly enough, the Bushnell Banner that I have is already a 1.75-4 32mm. While it may have been smarter to have it on the 1.75 setting, it was set at around the 2.5-3 range. I still found it clumsy to locate the target when I was feeling rushed.

I only use that gun/optic for deer hunting, and being a single shot, it isn't as if I shoot it a lot. I'm not even certain that the red dot is the best way to go, but it seems to be the best idea for me. I just want to make sure it isn't going to fall apart from the recoil of the gun.

There are some extremely nice red dot scopes, but there is no way I would even consider spending several hundred dollars for one. I would find a sight to put on my scope mount first.

#8 ·
i have an old bushnell sportview 4-12X40mm scope on my .30-06. i rarely, if ever, take it above 7X though. i shoot with both eyes open, and hitting a running target or finding a target instantly is never an issue. i'm sure there are great red dot scopes out there, but any of them i have tried have been trash. shoot all year at lower variables, and you might just be fine with what you already have!

#10 ·
I would not go to a red dot. I have had three
and all were over powering in low light even
on the lowest setting.
I would go to a scope with a bigger bell and
a larger field of view. Also check to be sure
that your eye relief is correct.
To check your eye relief, cheek your stock
and observe your picture then slide your
face forward slowly to see if your picture
gets better, if not do it again slideing backwards.
If your picture improves loosen the caps on
your rings and slide your scope until you
get the best picture from your comfortable
holding position.
If you move your scope check your zero.

#11 ·
I played with a red dot on an AK47 for a while. I didn't seem to be any faster with it than a low power scope and I know that I wasn't as accurate. My groups with the scope were considerably better than the groups with the red dot.

Keep your scope on the lowest setting at all times. Then you'll be ready for up close and personal, or quick snap shots. If the deer is some distance away, you can always dial it up. I never change the setting on the 2-7 power scopes from 2x unless I'm sighting in, checking for variance in the scope setting, etc. I've killed deer at 250 yds with the scope on 2x. It's enough power.

If you want to play with a red dot, go to Wal-Mart and get the one they sell for $50. That's what I had on the AK. It will be enough for you to decide if you want to spend the money on a good one. Either way, just take it back to the store when you are done.

Something that no one has mentioned yet is practicing those type of shots. If you want to be able to nail it, you have to practice it.

I know shotgun slugs are expensive, but if you take those types of shots in the field, you owe it to yourself and the animal to spend the money making sure you can do it. If you aren't going to put in a little time and money learning how to do it, then don't do it. JMHO.

#12 ·
Like Jordan said above me, leave both your eyes open when you're shooting, makes it WAYYYY quicker to acquire your target with the scope, I always have both eyes open when shooting with a scope. Personally I've had 3 Bushnell scopes and all of them were complete junk, the best scope for the $ is Nikon, walmart usually has 'em for good prices, had a 2-7X32 on my AR and with it dialed down to 2X I was amazed at how fast target acquisition was. I'd recommend Nikon, Burris, Sightron and Leupold.
Also, I've bought a pair of Arnette sunglasses and a Nikon scope from OpticsPlanet.com and was VERY pleased with both purchases.

#13 ·
I tried the red dot scopes also. Hated it.

But, if that's what you want my only advice would be you get what you pay for. Cheap ones just seem cheap to me. The dot isn't clear and somewhat elongated on the one I used. I never broke one if that helps and didn't have a problem with them keeping a zero. I think I bought a Tasco but I can't swear to it. It was around $125.00 4-5 years ago. You can buy a 30mm Tasco dot scope for around $50.00 if you want to try one out.

I'd go with a good shotgun peep style rifle site or a low power scope. If long range shots are something that you won't have to contend with, a fixed, low power with a larger objective lens would be my choice.

I've bought several scopes from SWFA.com. They've always been great.

G
#14 ·
I only want to spend around $100-$150.....
Remember the old adage, you get what you pay for. Are you willing to let that prize buck get away over a cheap scope?

If I was given a choice of a $3k gun & a $300 scope or a $300 gun and a $3k scope, I would definitely pick the latter.

As far as decent scopes for the $$, the Vortex Strikefire is a relatively inexpensive scope but well made. I believe the run for under $200 and mimick a Aimpoint. If you want quality, go with Leupold, Trijicon or Aimpoint. Aimpoint makes the T-1 which is super small and durable but very spendy ($500~$650).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.