Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Suggestions on travel sized finder needed!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  typer181 
#1 ·
Hi Bros and Sis's,

I am taking a trip to Canada in the spring to fish at a fly in camp. Unfortunately, the boats that are provided have no fish finders on them. The lake is big, and I'm sure I'm going to need all the help I can get to find dinner!

What is a good (not great) fish finder that I could take with me? Weight is a slight issue, I can only take 100lbs of total equipment with me on the float plane.

I was going to just go out and buy whatever I could find, but it's always good to get some educated info from my Bros and Sis's!

Thanks for your help!

#3 ·
Eric, a fue years back on my jon boat, I had a cheap finder from wally world . I took a small tool box, put two 6vt. batteries wired together in series [1 wire to pos.on one battery andneg. on other battery } making a small 12vt.battery. Mounted finder on top { also stored inside box for transport }. Mounted transduser to a camper shell clamp and a straight angle bracket. Camper shell bracket clamps to boat with bracket extended into water with transduser attached to it. Worked great. I still have tool box you can borrow and i`ll look in garage for bracket. I`ll PM you with my phone # if your interested just PM me to let me know.

#4 ·
Thanks Kevin! I'm really looking for something that is a single piece unit, but I appreciate your offer. Sounds like a nice set up though. I'm going to use this unit on my jon boat as well after the trip, so I am looking to buy one for the long haul.
I noticed that humminbird had a finder that clamped on like a small trolling motor, has anyone had experience with this type?

#5 ·
I can't tell you anything about the Humminbird fish finder, but I do own a Bottom Line Fishin Buddy 2201. I have owned this fish finder for several years, and it works great. It has a clamp that is mounted to your boat and the self-contained fish finder is slid into this holder. It also has a side finder feature. It runs on C batteries. It is very light weight. They updated their products. If they work as good as the old ones, you can't go wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Fishin-Buddy-Portable-Finder/dp/B000G7XZAO

http://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Fishin-Buddy-Portable-Finder/dp/B0001W2UZU

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.