Suggestions on log homes

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by lawnman61, Jan 6, 2008.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    We are thinking on moving in the late summer up by Witchita Falls Texas. First we are going to purchase 3 to 5 acres and we have been looking at log home websites and found several nice log homes, this is going to be a permanent move not just a get-away place.
    Does anyone know of the pro's and con's of a log home ?
    We have been looking at 2000+ sqft homes, single level, 2 story and 3 story.
    I will be putting it on a concrete foundation.
    Any one kknow about these homes ?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I was going to build one too until...... I wised up.
    They are alot of work to keep them looking nice.
    The biggest problem is wood expands and contracts. You have to recaulk the windows and doors .

The light bills are great.
    The log home places will tell you all the good stuff. Its the work they dont tell you about.:big_smile:

I decided I'm country enough no matter what the house.

Something else I ran into was cost.
    these people over here were telling me I could build log cheaper then conventional.
    These people over there were telling me it would cost 125% of conventional.

My best advice is before you get wound up shopping for a log home talk to alot of people that live in one and ask them if they would do it all over again.

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I have built several log homes and even one from scratch but that has been a bunch of years ago. I built myself a 3200 sq foot log home and after while I got tired of the logs and there isn't much you can do to change them except cover them up. I didn't like the dust collecting on all the logs either. The power bills are usually lower than a conventional home though. You will need to treat the logs on the outside periodically as they will deteriorate if not maintained properly. Logs on a concrete slab are a little hard to seal and the logs making contact with the concrete will rot quickly if water gets to them. You will hear a lot of popping as the logs expand and contract but that didn't bother us much. Running the electrical can be some fun also.

4. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I know two people that have lived in a log homes and they complained of how drafty both homes were and the amount of maintenance was to much, getting wiring where you would like it and the hvac they way it should be turns out to be a poor compromise. talk to previous log home owners and base your decision on what they say.

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have talked to a guy locally here that has one a concrete slab and he swears by it, it's been ther for 16 years and he has had no problems with rotting yet. Something about how he sealedd it on the concrete.
    We like the looks of them and the smell inside is refreshing to us.
    We just needto know more of the pros and cons on them before we decide to purchase one. We won't make a decision till late this year on weather we build conventional or log home. I like the input from all of you that know more about this than we do.
    Thanks

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Al,

First off, I'm not knowledgeable of the pros and cons of log homes, but often thought I would like to have one. Over the years, I've contemplated underground homes, A frames, log homes, tire homes, Yurts, and Dome homes, but in my ever growing age problem, I find that a mobile home I once owned was all I ever needed and wish I had kept it.

You said this was a permanent move, so :

Please consider growing older, wheelchair accessibility doorways, and whether you will be able to climb stairs. Consider the maintenance or paying for the maintenance of what kind of home you will live in the rest of your life. Consider health issues as you age, economy, etc. I know no one knows the future, but at least try to imagine 20 years or more down the road, will your wife or yourself be able to go downstairs to say, do laundry. See what I'm talking about?

Anyway, here are a couple of interesting links, one is completely odd, but the other is taunted as one of the best kinds of homes to build.

The Yurt, is kinda a modern day teepee, but taken from an ancient civilization and expanded upon:

http://rainieryurts.reachlocal.com/...2Bhomes%26y%3DSearch%26fr%3Dmoz2%26ei%3DUTF-8

The Dome Home is the one taunted to be one of the best homes, although a lot of women don't like it's looks.

http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2007-09/2007-09-27-voa80.cfm?CFID=182081181&CFTOKEN=94736411

http://www.domehomes.com/

Sorry for rambling,
    Cheryl

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex

8. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I spent some time years ago in a single story log home over in the four corners area.
    It was set on a cement slab.
    Metal roof had a overhang all the way way around to keep the rain from running down the walls.
    Was studded and drywalled like any other home so running the wiring was no problem, plumbing was in the slab.
    I believe all a person has to do to the exterior is apply log oil every so often.
    The logs were set together with silicone so there was no air infiltration.
    Back in those days a person could drive up to the log mills where there were made and buy a home and have it shipped to your location.

I was going to build one for my self but living in Kansas at the time opted to build a underground house. I can sure tell you the do's and dont's of those!

9. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I did quite a bit of research on them and it always came up to about twice the cost of a frame home, we sided ours with western cedar to get the look...

Attached Files: