Suggestions for trapping

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 7, 2006.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive Wanted to trap for a while and i want to know what is the easiest method for racoons? ill try virtually anything ive found trails, even some with hair on barb wire that goes right over the trail, but all we cought was a little possum.

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Kevin coons are easy to trap, their always looking for a easy meal and will eat anything, from sweets to fish,
    The best advice I can tell you get a fur fish and game mag. and order, a book on coon trapping, I've used hard core lure (sweet) with success, have used jack mackerel form store, cheap kind, carp all will work , dig you a hole,
    and put bait in it,dish out a place in front and set trap. watch for tracks they will tell you where, to set trap and if your doing something wrong,
    Had a father in law that lived, in Texas and set live traps in ranchers hay barn baited with vanilla cookies , said meat bait attracted skunks ,cookies worked for him.
    Jim

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

a very easy set is the fish stick set go find your coons (allways set on sign) put your trap in shallow water just enough to cover trap in fron to ftrap put a 12 inch stick with a small yellow sponge rubber banded to it spray on fish oil or shellfish oil and presto coon cathing will begin. or the dirt hole set like mentioned above willtake all animals includeing coons

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Try to find a place where they are going through a fence.
    Make a blind set just far enough from the fence that the coon cannot reach the fence. He'll pull out of a foothold trap if he can get ahold of the fence wire.
    Thats a good thing to remember about any coon set. The animals are strong and can pull themselves free.
    As far as the water set above be sure the coon cannot reach the bank.
    that way he won't ruin the set for the next coon to wander by.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Another note on the water set is make it's not going to get cold enough to freeze the water. If it is place the set in a spot where the water is moving.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just thought i would add that there are coon exclusive traps available that will only catch coon and ive not had any experience with them i think they would keep you from loosing them or catching non target animals but they are rather expensive i think one of them is marketed as coon cuffs

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    that all sounds like it works, and i will be sure to try it out as soon as i can. thanks

KeViN

8. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    a nice sturdy log with a 2 inch hole drilled in it. nail 4 nails on each side of the hole angled in with enough room for a coon to get his hand in. then drop a real sinny piece of alumminum or a dime or something in the hole and make sure its laying flat on the bottem, but make sure any kind of light will catch on it. then leave it there nad check it and youll find yourself a coon has been curious and went to grab that shinny thing and got his leg to where he cant pulll it out. im just kidding, i dont kno for sure if that works but it sure did work in one of my fav. books(Where the red fern grows) the more i think about it, the more it sounds like it will work:tounge_out:

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    In this world of Anti's thats not very funny.
    Thats just the kind of thing they look for to make a big deal out of the "evils" of trapping.

10. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

i love that book!

but he used a tin can didnt he..... but i have considered trying that but idk if i will
    a tin can with nails and tie it off ta somethin

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use wire snare sets on paths with good success on coons. I hook the snare to a tree or a fence if it is close if not I stake it to the ground. If you set where they are going under or through a hole in the fence a snare works great.

12. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    The hole with nails in it works, seen it done, and done it.