suggestions for sand anchors?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by catmandu62, Nov 19, 2007.

1. catmandu62

catmandu62 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish on the mississippi and have had trouble anchoring in certain areas, that I believe have a sandy bottom? Just curious what some of you guys do under these circumstances.:tounge_out:I only have a 16' alumaweld boat with a 25hp mercury so I only assume it would'nt take that much to stop me.

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I use the homade lead anchors. Mine is 29lbs and it holds my 24 ft. Sea Ark pretty good in the sand. The only time I have trouble is on a hard flat smooth bottom.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    See none other than the one GMVK30. He's got the market cornered on Sand Anchors. :wink:

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Aaron, I made a box type sand anchor for Cuz, and it works awesome. We've only use it a couple times, but both times is stopped his Big Daddy no problem on a sand bar. I believe you saw it at the when we were all is St.Louis together. I don't have a pic, but I think Cuz does.:wink:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Cuz indeed Does lol. But not too handy. :roll_eyes: Anyone remember what thread I posted those photos on? It was when spoonfish made me feel guilty and I had to run out and get photos of it at 11:00 at night.

6. catmandu62

catmandu62 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yeah saw it at cuzfest 2 that was quite some engineering. I dont think I need anything that size for my dink of a boat. I dont expect you to show your idea considering you might want to patent it.:cool2:

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    well i was going to repost the photo but can't get it to work.

If you want to see it where cuz posted it.

Look for a thread in the missouri rivers section called
    "Mississippi River at STL"

8. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I've recently bought a richtor anchor and have had good success with it. It's held me really well so far. I switch it out to a different anchor below the dam in alton where there is large rocks. I've lost 3 anchors down there already. And the richtor anchor's a little pricey to be losing.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have seen that anchor for sale some place. Although it was more of a fold up style that I seen.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You are correct Josh. Gary and I got the idea from the Fold Up style anchor that you are referring to. We didnt feel that the ability to fold it up was necessary so Gary just welded it up permanently. Doesnt really take up much room either. Gary did a great job on those things thats for sure.

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    6ft of chain will make an anchor hold a lot better.