Suggestions for a shore-bound angler?

Discussion in 'WASHINGTON RIVER TALK' started by Steelie L, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Steelie L

Steelie L New Member

State:
    Washington
    Hey guys. I live in Western Washington and do a lot of fly fishing for trout and steelhead, but I'm also rediscovering my passion for warmwater fish -- bass, bluegill, catfish -- which I learned to fish for as a kid in California.

Anyway, I'm interested in driving east -- up to maybe 4 hours -- later in August to try and catch a nice cat or two in Washington state. I have two young daughters and a full-time job, so this is gonna be a fast, caffeine-fueled trip. Any and all advice is appreciated -- locations, sinker weights, etc. I've never fished rivers for catfish before, only lakes, so this is virgin territory for me. If you have any ideas for me, please feel free to send me a message. I'm not here to fish out anyone's secret honey hole; I could just use a push in the right direction. I'm not gonna bring 16 of my favorite friends and keep everything I catch; it's just gonna be me, one night only, and I mostly catch-and-release.

And if anyone wants any tips on fly fishing -- or drift fishing for steelhead -- feel free to give me a shout. I even have an extra float tube and would be more than happy to take a newbie out to a lake.

Thanks,
    Lance

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC Lance... from the beach at LA California...

Someone might pick up your post and help you along with where to fish... Its all up to you my friend... what Big rivers ya got to fish... or lakes...? simple sliding sinker and some bait out will get you started...

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard to the boc Lance. Never did much fly fishing or drifting for steelhead

4. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    Hi and welcome very nice fish in your avatar

5. Steelie L

Steelie L New Member

State:
    Washington
    Thanks guys. Great site you've got here. The amount of good information and participation here is unreal.

On the western side of Washington, where I live, there's nary a channel cat to be found -- except maybe in one or two lakes. It's mostly just small bullheads in the lakes and ponds. As you head east beyond the Cascades, I've heard you can find decent cats in the lower Yakima and Columbia Rivers, but they're long, big stretches of water, so I'm just trying to figure out a place to start.

Thanks again for the kind welcome.